Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut list for frame design.

Genius
Genius

Hi Everyone.

Hopefully a simple question.

I am creating a cut list for a frame I am designing.

Creating IBeams or channels is easy, I create the shape and cal it the BS EN part number and the cut length is correct.

My question is, how would I go about this for flat plate?

I use 'BS EN 10025 35' the 35 is the thickness.  How can I show and control the length and width so that it updates if I need to make changes?

9 REPLIES

Betreff: Cut list for frame design.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Dazzie

if I have understood You correctly, then I would create a part with a single protrusion where the profil is the rectangular cross section with the 35 thickness.

Save this in Your frame library and just use it for a frame design.

You also should get the cut length parameter, same as with every other frame design part.

Hope this helps.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, you understood me correctly.

I was hoping to just have the thickness for the name and have the width and length for the cutting dimentions.

I guess this isn't possible.

Hi @Dazzie

so now I have You lost completely.

What have You thought that it should work how?

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang.

Sorry for the confusion.

I use to use inventor and you can control the material dimensions in the parts list with the model, not just the length, but also the width and thickness.

HI @Dazzie

OK, this seems to have not only to do with frame design but more or less with any kind of parts.

And You are looking for BOM infos, what are "Porperties" in the speech of Solid Edge.

YOu can have as many properties as You need, but to keep it easy I would suggest to use one proeprty, for example called main dimensions.

You can also use my macro MainDimensions, which will create this value automatically for You.

There is already a thread where You can find it.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Cut list for frame design.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

To display a thickness you have to use another part of the program. Sheet metal gage.

The title of the gage can be displayed in the parts list.

Here is the overview:

1D parts: Gage table & Sheet metal file with cutX and CutY

2D parts: Frame members

3D parts: Typical part file

Here is the formatting from my parts list 

ITEM:  %{Item Number|G}

QTY:  %{Quantity|G}

MATERIAL:  %{Gage|G}%{SHAPE/CP|G}

CUT 1:  %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/@3N/CP/NU|G}%{Cut Length|G}%{L/@3/NU/CP|G}%RT

CUT 2:  %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/@3N/CP/NU|G}

PART NUMBER: %{Document Number|G}

PART NAME:  %{Title|G}

#/EACH   %{Mass (Item)/@1/NU|G}

The only field that is custom is Shape,

I use that from frame members, examples: ANGLE 2x2x1/4 CS, RECT TUBE 6x3x3/16 CS, PIPE 1"SCH40 CS

So the columns Cut1 could come from three different places. The cutx from sheet metal, or the cut lengh of a frame member or anything I expose as the variable L. Any single part will only be one of the three.

You could use all my formatting if you take my file from the thread: Seeking better methods.

Phenom
Phenom

@DazzieYou can have the thickness in the BOM, however it will not be in the name column, it would be in a thickness column, and you could have either the Gage name or the material thickness, but it wouldn't be in the name column unless you named the part you are using in frame what you were wanting.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That's another valid way of working noninus.

But in my shop, the thickness is by gage. So then I need to to display the gage of the material. I get that done using the gage table. The label of the gage is what get's displayed.

The thickness, like the Gage will only be available to display if the parts are made from sheet metal or if the variable is added manually.

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGE  Yes, we operate the same way. I was just telling the OP because of the way he worded the question.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"