Cut to Curved Edge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi

I'm trying to cut up to a curved surface, but the options are Finite, Through All, Through Next, From-To. I want ing something like To Next, which I used a lot in SW but don't see here, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. The extrude cut I'm trying keeps going through the next section instead of stopping at it. 

Also it will only cut in one direction when I try to define the end of the cut by another surface, after which the drawing disappears so I can't cut in the other direction. 

Thank you,

Garnet

12 REPLIES

Re: Cut to Curved Edge

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Garnet,

I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out what it is you're trying to achieve here.....any chance you could upload your model. I'm certain there is a simple solution to this.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks, here is the model. I want the last action, Cut 2, to cut the complete inner edge of the ring, but not any of the outer ring. Hope that's clear. 

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Unfortunately a Solid Edge file created by the academic edition cannot be opened with a commercial Solid Edge license.
If you "Save As" a parasolid file respondents here should be able to ope it.
Cheers
Mark

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is this what you need?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Garnet, just use the From-To option.  You will find that the "From" input can just default to where the sketch is (right click to accept default) and then just specify the "To" input.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Ken, but I can't get that to work. I'm clicking on the larger of the inner curves to select the 'to' point but it says 'Operation Unsuccessful'. I've tried changing the sketch in case it was creating a zero tolerance (forget the name) point but hasn't helped. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Garnet wrote:

Thanks, here is the model. I want the last action, Cut 2, to cut the complete inner edge of the ring, but not any of the outer ring. Hope that's clear. 

Hi Garnet,

Was unable to open the part file, but the Parasolid worked, as a "dumb solid"....only dumb, in the sense that I can't see any of your profile geometry. I suspect the profile consumes some aspect of the model that would in effect turn back on itself. [only a wild guess here]

As an alternative method, as is often the case, many ways to achieve a given task....try using "Replace Face" from the surfacing tools. Does that give you what you're looking for?

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Sean but my license doesn't allow most Surfacing features.

Legend
Legend

Hi Garnet

Do you have copy face and trim? If so, try this :

copy the inner cyl face and extend it then perform the extrude. Only one side will be cut (select the extended cyl as the To surface). Now trim the extended surface, keep one half and use it for the second extrude.

(view in My Videos)

Laurenj