Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutout Pattern quantity callout

Pioneer
Pioneer

I see that solid edge has property text codes (%Qx) for hole quantities, but is their such a thing for a pattern of cutouts, including suppressed occurences?  I have a hex cutout pattern of 1653 occurences with  172 suppressed occurences, is there a property text code that would figure out the cutout quantity for me?

9 REPLIES

Betreff: Cutout Pattern quantity callout

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @mathesons

I don't think that there is an integrated function to get this info out of SE.

The only - and Yes I know - long winded way would be to put the part into an assembly and to use those cut out faces for a clone of a dummy part.

The number of instances of that dummy part (BOM quantity) is the number of Your real cut outs.

Clumsy but working!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Cutout Pattern quantity callout

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Another poor work around would be using the weight.

If you know the weight of the part without cutouts and how much weight each would remove, the finished weight could determine the number of cuts with a bit of variable work.

Legend
Legend

I'm trying to understand why in 2017 we put the number of holes/cutouts on a draft in the first place.

If the part has numerous holes/cutouts of sizes that aren't distinguishable on the print, then I see the need for clarification.

The only time I have used the number of holes/cutouts on a print in my 30+ years of fabrication is if I was doing a quote/time estimate, so I could have a number of punches, or laser/plasma pierces.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

There is a workaround to do this on part level. Solid Edge uses hole feature to count so you need to use it in the background. I make a constructive part what will contains holes and manufacturable part will contains cutouts. We can pattern them in same step and usable to count cutout quantities.

Here is a video (sorry for HUN UI):

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi @Imics,

this is what I like to call "TGT" - "The Genius Thinking" :-).

Not long ago I was asked by my customer how to achive this goal. Now I know how.

Thanks a lot!

Ota

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@ota_poul2, my Friend. Thnx! Smiley Wink I have no enough free time to help guys here... Smiley Sad

I asked myself: When will I drink a glass of Chech beer with my Chech friends? Maybe in Huntsville or earlier?

Have a nice day!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

@Imics,

yes, this is the most important question, isn´t it? :-)

offtopic:

I wanted to have a few beers with you last time in HSV, but you were not there.

What about next year? Or what about somewhere near, not across the ocean? :-)

Ota

Pioneer
Pioneer

I tend to agree, but having the number on the drawing does make for quicker quotes, but I imagine "in 2017" there are programs which can produce quotes from the STEP file too. We have been doing what we call "limited information drawings" for around 17 years where basically our paper drawings only contain some inspection dimensions, and other information that cannot be derived from the STEP file, we have been slowly dropping things off that really don't need to be on the drawing but wondering where the limit will be with the fabricator; we even have one fabricator that makes their own fully dimensioned drawings from our STEP files, really not ideal as they do not know our design intent.

Legend
Legend
Agreed, when we quoted stuff from a drawing sent to us. The past 3-4 places that I've worked with/for, it is quoted by actually programming to the corresponding CNC machinery, to give the most accurate time estimates.

I know that some places could cut their design time in half if they rethought what was actually necessary on fabrication drawings, in the terms of real need.