DBSolidEdge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is anyone using DBSolidEdge for their PDM software? If so, what do you think of it? Do you have any suggestions for best use pricipals or time savers?

Thank you and have a great day,

Gabriel

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8
8 REPLIES

Re: DBSolidEdge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Gabriel,

I asked this same question about a year ago and got no direct responses from anyone using MechWorks for Solid Edge. After dong some research and speaking to a few people using DBWorks, we have selected DBSolidEdge as our PDM and are currently in the implementation process.  Our criteria were a solution that could handle multiple locations and emulate a custom workflow that we currently use at one of our locations (developed in-house to work with Insight by a former employee who has retired).  After seeing the workflow, the DBSolidEdge reseller came in with a proof-of-concept that will give us the custom functionality we currently have.

Since we are in the early stages of our implementation, I cannot offer any advice or recommendations; however, I can update you as we go through the process.

Brian Watt

Royston LLC

ST8MP8

Pioneer
Pioneer

Brian,

Thank you for your response. This is our 3rd week of using DBSolidEdge. We too are using a custom work-flow that is similar to our old Insight Connect work-flow. We are still working some bugs out but as we settle into DBSolidEdge, I will post any major findings, either good or bad, here.

Gabriel Gullickson

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'd be interested in seeing the pros/cons, advantages over Insight in general, why you switched, etc.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Bruce,

I will compile a list of pros/cons as I see them. It will change and grow as we work out the bugs and I become more familiar with the software. I will ask and try to find out why we changed and what were seen as the pros/cons. I believe our final reason we changed to DBSolidEdge was to satisfy an ISO requirement for our work-flow. As I currently see pros/cons:

Pros:

-Files open much quicker

-life cycling of files is much quicker

-files are more securely protected from other users' "meddling"

-performing a "Save As" to a .par, .psm. or .asm file automatically generates the .dft files as well

-excellent file history

-when life cycling, auto create files .dxf, .stl, .pdf, etc.

-can attach other files to any file type.

Cons:

-Files save slower (takes about 2X as long)

-Family member files save extremely slow (has taken me approximatley 15 minutes on multiple occasions)

-files ONLY save in your current project folder (file directory)

-cannot open files and add note or dimension without going through complete life cycle (can maintain -revision level but must increment to writable state, modify draft, increment to released state)

-everything appears to be very locked down, i. e., there is only one way to accomplish your task, there is no fudging, no work arounds, no nothing.

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks. Is there a Doc_Control access, like in Insight, that allows change of released files without bumping rev?

Useful in some special cases only, of course.

Also we find that opening a high level assembly sometimes seems to randomly check out some lower level assemblies. Also .cfg files sometimes stay checked out (don't follow .asm) for some reason.

Does DBSE have an option to automagically generate PDFs of drafts?

Does DBSE append file names with revision?

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

Not sure about the Doc_Control access file but there are two ways to change files without bumping revs:

1) Increment to writable, make change to draft, increment to released and choose to change existing rev. (No file history).

REV.JPG Ignore the specific [rev] label but I can create a new revision by incrementing it, or apply changes to current revision.

2) Increment to writable, make change to draft, increment to released and choose minor rev (i. e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3).

Also, I believe an administrator can make a change to a file without bumping the revision but this is limited to the administrator and again is not reccommended because it doesn't leave a file history.

I (we) haven't noticed the checking out of lower level assemblies due to opening a upper level assembly or the .cfg files remaining checked out.

Yes, DBSE is set up (default) to auto generate .dxf, .stl, & .pdf, and you can have it create different files as your needs require.

No, the revision is not associated with the file name as in Insight.

Gabriel Gullickson
Mechanical Drafter
Spectrum Industries
ST8

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bshand, are you using the Large Assembly management option of Limited Save?  This is supposed to eliminate files needing saved to those you explicitly edit and eliminate "system" saved files.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I should set that up on everyone's station and see how it shakes out. It's not me that's seeing it, except for .cfg files. Designers tell me it's just the act of opening an assembly, before doing any work.

Bruce Shand