DWG 3D Sketch Import

Creator
Creator

Hi All,

I have a DWG which has no surface data it is simply a set of points in space, output from the Leica 3D Disto. Is there any way to import these not as a solid, nor flattened onto a single sketch plane, but as a series of 3D points in space which I could then connect using SE 3D sketching tools. Any suggestions very welcome!

DWG file attached, on the import screen by looking through one of the isometric views it is possible to see the 3D nature of the file.

10 REPLIES

Re: DWG 3D Sketch Import

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @AdamCave,

I see the preview you refer to, and I can get it in Solid Edge as 2D geometry into draft.....I also tried to open it in Rhino to translate it to IGES for you, but, it fails to open for some reason. [maybe because my dusty old version is a bit out of date....sorry]

I wish we could get 3D DWG files into SE also.

DWG Point Import [SE-DWG-Options].png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Creator
Creator

Many thanks for looking into this for me, Sean. It does seem like running it through a third party software will be the only way forward.

Phenom
Phenom

I tried opening the DWG with a Part template and Solid Edge did recognize the operation as a DWG point import, but the Z-coords were somehow flattened out, which is puzzling. Need to dig deeper into the import Options or the INI file to check if this can be controlled somewhere.

2016_Aug_23_01.png

EDIT: Just noticed the sketch name - DWG Point Import - is simply the file name and not any kind of recognition by Solid Edge.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Too bad it doesn't know to use a 3D sketch if there are non-zero Z values.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Sean, depending on the dwg file you can create a solid. If I remember autocad right a joined set of lines that are extuded will create some sort of solid, (it's been a long time since I've done that). I've imported quite a few files from one customer that uses some sort of autocad and draws in 3D. I open the .dwg as a draft and when doing so the solid body is written to a .sat file. The box is checked in that screenshot above, the draft is of course 2d dimensional, I simply close it then proceed to open the .sat file with a .part template which recognizes the solid and creates surface construction bodies. 

Basically you're opening as a draft as a means to create the .sat which will recognize the solids.

-Craig

Phenom
Phenom

I tried exporting the DWG from AutoCAD to IGES and open in Solid Edge with a Part template.

As @SeanCresswell has shown in his post, there are not simply points but some wireframe also.

Further I was able to create some bounded surfaces over the wireframe.

The IGES is attached.

~Tushar

2016_Aug_24_01.png

~Tushar

Creator
Creator

Many thanks Tushar,

I think a limitation I may have is that we only run AutoCAD LT here so our export options are severely limited. I seem to be having some isses opening that IGES. I set my import settings to open it using a standard Iso part template but I get an empty file, or I can open it into a draft template but that again is just a 2D view. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Adam C-A

Phenom
Phenom

Unless the import process throws an error or explicitly mentions nothing to import, I think it has succeeded.

Can you zoom fit the part file and check for a group of tiny dots and then zoom in to that area.

Or turn off display of all reference planes and then do a zoom fit.

Else check the PathFinder if it is indeed empty, If you see any curves or Part Copy listed in the PathFinder, the imported geometry is indeed there waiting to be zoomed in closer.

Creator
Creator
Ah apologies, my IGES import was looking for only solids, not wire frames.

Thank you very much all for looking into this!