Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG Sketch Direct Paste

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi edge users and Deverlopers...

It has been continuously requesting dwg direct paste function since ST2 ~ ST3.
I heard that it was coming in at ST10 ... but it did not apply.
I really need this ability.

Seven years have passed since I made a request at ST3.

Is it impossible to include this feature? ..
Or can I purchase this feature separately? ...
Solid works include this feature. Is not it the same para solid engine?

What I have been asking for so long is not constantly reflected in ...

12 REPLIES

Re: DWG Sketch Direct Paste

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Hclee,

Presume you did make an ER submission for this, and shared that number on here?......if so, then one would deduce there is not enough support, from other users, to have this enhancement included, in the list to work on.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

At the time, I asked Russeller in Korea.
I know it has been reported clearly.
We repeatedly requested and requested Russellers...

I think it's been reported ...
I wonder if the development process failed or there was not much request.

But solid works is a function that was possible in the beginning.
I always look envious.

The interesting thing is that Solid Edge can utilize Blocks in Sketches and Solid Edge can also use Blocks that are still stored in DWG format directly, but only if brought in by the Feature/Part Library...  Should not be too big of a stretch to support copy and paste.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

By DWG direct paste, do you mean a workflow involving copying in AutoCAD and pasting in Solid Edge Draft/Sketcher ?

This will necessarily take the Clipboard route since that's how copy-paste works in Windows.

When you copy a Drawing View in SE Draft or some sketches from Solid Edge part and paste subsequently in say MS Word or Excel, it creates at best a vector image which is scalable without losing clarity or without appearing jagged edges. Same when copying from AutoCAD.

This is a metafile which is a Windows file that stores an image in terms of graphic objects rather than pixels. When resized a metafile preserves an image better than a bitmap.

Based on these findings and understanding, I believe it is really up to the other application which is hosting the DWG to put some usable information on the clipboard for other applications to use. Not even Solid Edge put out any usable information on the clipboard when Copy command is used, so that any application reading it from the clipboard can create native entities like lines, circles or dimensions.

When Solid Edge is reading a DWG and the blocks within it, they are being read directly from the DWG file on disk using functions that read through the data structures which hold complete block definition information stored there and create equivalent SE objects. 

Some one from SE development may kindly shed some light on this and I'd be both glad and eager to stand corrected.

Thanks in advance.

I did a small test meanwhile and after copying from both AutoCAD and Solid Edge, the following returned true in each case:

My.Computer.Clipboard.ContainsData(System.Windows.Forms.DataFormats.EnhancedMetafile)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Tushar
I am very grateful to have made an effort to see if it is possible.

Yes, that's right.
In the Autocad Sketch environment, it is directly attached to the Solid Edge Part into the Sketch environment.
What is really strange is not in the Edge and solid works.
I do not know nx ... ^^

Thank you for your reply.

Gears Phenom

Hi @Hclee

Yes, you have mentioned this before.

I have a lab machine which has AutoCAD 2010 and NX 7.5 installed.

and another one in a training institute in the next block having a computer with AutoCAD + SW, not sure of the versions there.

I am definitely going to try this possibly today or later this week.

May be I can cook some small macro fro Solid Edge if I get enough hints.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your efforts.

Gears Phenom

Just returned from the other lab that has NX 7.5 with AutoCAD and after copying from AutoCAD, NX won't even look at the clipboard. The Paste option is grayed out.

With the other machine having AutoCAD 2010 and SW 2015, SW pastes an image of the circle+line copied from AutoCAD; so not doing a better job than SE.

SW pastes just an image by reading the enhanced metafile [or EMF] that AutoCAD put on the clipboard.

I am very close to infer that no geometrical data (line start/end points or circle centerpoint, radius, etc.) is put on the clipboard by any CAD program including SE or SW or NX which some other program can use.

Do you have any definitive link to a webpage or video that shows simple entities like line or circle copied from AutoCAD pasting as editable entities in SW.

I am stretching it this far since I am interested in knowing if any useful data is really there on the clipboard; I will attempt to read it using a macro. Subsequently, creating SE entities using such raw data would be another task though not much of a challenge.

Thanks.

ACADCopy.png

SWPaste.png

I just tested the reverse of copying geometry in Solid Edge, and then used Paste Special in ACAD and selected Paste as AutoCAD Entities and it pasted in line elements...  What's interesting is even the geometric contraint symbols came in as lines.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com