.DWG file opening in solid edge as a blank picture

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

First post here since I have a problem I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will have an answer to.

I was given .C4 drawings (drafts) and am being asked to convert them to .dwg files. I made them understand that it would be a glorified image in .dwg format and they still want. So with that I set off on figuring out how to do so and landed on the following solution:

Step1 Convert JEDMICS .C4 files to .PDFs using batch converter (Slick! for windows)

Step 2 Convert PDFs into .DWG files using aXsware .PDF to .DWG converter (aXsware Solutions)

Step 3 Open drawing that has been converted from .C4 into .DWG using Solid Edge (ST6) using "ANSI draft.dft" (also tried ISO draft, etc)

No issues/errors when opening, however all i get is a blank screen as if the file is just nothing. What am I doing wrong? Is there a feature/option that I should have enabled to view these .DWGs that are essentially just images?

Thanks for any and all help I am not sure what to tell my boss!

7 REPLIES

Re: .DWG file opening in solid edge as a blank picture

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

I think you'll find, it is because there is no physical geometry [only an image] to import, that you get the blank template opening only...I believe this to be expected behaiviour for the import of this file type.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

The aXsware program can convert rasters to editable vector objects to be used in CAD as dwg.  I don't think they are supposed to be just image files, but am guessing that is the problem.  I can open the .dwg file in the program from step (1) and it actually shows up there, but not in solid edge.

Is there a way around this?

Is there a customized import function in solid edge to maybe work around this that I haven't tried?

Thanks for the response.

Phenom
Phenom
Hi,

Could you share your .dwg file here?

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

This site http://fileinfo.com/extension/c4 informs that the C4 format is a bitmap image format.

What appears from your description is they are perhaps expecting you to read the file in a proper viewer manually and prepare a .DWG drawing out of it by hand. You can use the free Solid Edge 2D Drafting for this.

I suspect after the conversion steps all the way to Solid Edge, there is still just a bitmap which is not seen in Solid Edge.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Imics

Unfortunately I can't share the files to show what I am talking about.

Here is something I've discovered,  all information in the .dwg file that is created from the conversion process is stored on "Layer 0", this layer shows up in the Solid Edge View and Markup program just like it should and like I want, but is only saveable in .pcf when using View and Markup which is not file type that is requested of me. 

When i open the .dwg file in ST6 it comes up as an embedded link to the .dwg file location. (it literally shows "C://Users/JohnDoe/Documents/DWGFiles/Drawing.dwg" text string on a blank white space in the ST6 importer preview)

@Tushar  

I believe what you are saying is correct, it must just be saving it as a bitmap.  If I import a .png of the file into solid edge and save it as a .dwg, then open that file in another .dwg viewer I get the same problem above.  I get a .dwg in name only, it ends up being glorified white space with a "C://Users/JohnDoe/Documents/DWGFiles/Drawing.dwg" text string in the center of the page.

Tushar, do you think that 2D Drafting has a way around this?  If so will it be able to convert the file to a .dwg that will open in Autocad for editting? It's a long process to get a new/nonstandard program installed on my PC so knowing beforehand is very helpful.

Thanks all for your help 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

The text string you get is an external reference link to the file.....and an empty box, because it doesn't conform to the correct standards to display content.

I suspect you need to run it through some sort of Raster to Vector application, to then export the vectors to DWG format, for further use in Solid Edge.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Sean,

aXsware actually has an option to convert to a vector object, and I've tried this with no luck either.  Additionally it allows me to save in different file versions for autocad for example .dwg for ACAD 2007/2008/2009, ACAD 2013/2014/2015, ACAD 14.  I've tried all of these and it still comes up blank even after I tell the program to vectorize the lines.

I've tried other pdf drawings I have and it does it correctly and opens in ST6, but for some reason these drawings that originally come from .C4 images never work.

Thanks