Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF Export to Polyline

Creator
Creator

Hi All,

At my company we have just bought a CNC router for wood paneling. We are looking to streamline our SE ST10 export to bSolid (Biesse router software) inport. The preferential import is a DXF. The issue we are having is that a closed group of line (connected at every corner as per image) when exported just comes through as a series of lines, not a closed polyline. This means for complex geometry there is a manual task of selecting the geometry. I have tried exporting as a block/not as a block and a few other setting but to no avail. Anyone found a solution to this problem?

The image shows a simple example at the top, and the lower example shows the kind of lines which have confused the router previously. The red lines (coloured only for this demo purpose) sometimes end up being involved in the external perimeter cut.

Many thanks!

Adam C-A

6 REPLIES

Re: DXF Export to Polyline

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @AdamCave,

I would think this to be an option/setting in the CAM software for the CNC Router, as the lines are, as far as Solid Edge is concerned, are connected, as shown by the relationship handles displayed at the junctions.....none of the CNC machinery. or it's relative software, has given us issues over the years.

How is the line segment, then change over to the next line segment handled?.....does it require user input to progress the programming??.....if so, I would definitely look to the CAM software settings. Something like "automatic geometry chaining" or similar would be what I'd be looking for.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP1] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

At bit OT, but Biesse is a very large Solid Edge customer in Italy. All their stuff is designed in Solid Edge. Must be a nice machine! :-)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I believe some of the "included" CAM apps provided by the machine vendors are absent some of the more advanced features like automatic chaining of contiguous elements and thus depend on plotlines. We had this issue with our older EDM CAM product and had to open all generated DXF files from SE in ACAD and had to generate polylines. Without doing this, the machines would pause ever so slightly at all intersections and cause a burnout. We have resolved the issue by obtaining a commercial CAM app that can now program off of the 3D models eleminating the DXF step completely.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Creator
Creator

Hi Ken,

This is our present workflow to get around the issue. ACAD to select the geometry manually for the outside shape and form a P-line. Was it something along the CAM Works/CAM Express route that you opted for as your solution?

Many thanks for your input!

Adam C-A

Creator
Creator

Hi @SeanCresswell,

Inside the CAM suite, bSolid, on a DXF import (which has been exported straight from SE) all the lines come in entirely separated. There is a tool for joining connected elements, but it is a bit picky as per my example and needs quite a bit of manual picking and choosing to ensure the lines group as desired. If you take the DXF through AutoCAD first and basically repeat that process, closing profiles as polylines, then on import this is already recognised.

Many thanks for your input!

Adam C-A

With wire EDM, we went with Esprit.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com