DXF export problems

I'm not able to really used exported DXF's from solid edge. I can create DXF's but they can't be used my our machines.

I have to use DSS's DraftSight to gain the options required for use in our tools.

Attached is the list of export option from that program.

Inside SE, I can't find options to change the year format or switches between Binary and ASCII

Do the switches exist and I can't find them?

I'm still figuring out what options make the tools crash from varius formats. I just know switches available in export flat don't allow the options I need to make anything work in the tools.

8 REPLIES

Re: DXF export problems

I think Import is just as screwed up... been having all kinds of issues with layers when bringing in customers drawings.

Speaking of which... Importing other formats into Solid Edge is one of the worse experiences ever. When I try importing a customers Assembly, I get everything lumped into one part... the problem is there's no way of knowing how these files were saved. You would think they could make translators help you with such things. No instead we are stuck trying it a half dozen times only to have to edit some archaic "ini" files that you have to manually change everytime, like it's the 1990's

minor rant...

Bob

[ Edited ]

Solid Edge does offer DXF versions back to R12:

What difference does a binary format make for a given year ?

I figured out what makes the machines happy.

The year is not important, but I need ASCII and Not Binary.

Apperantly SE exports Binary.

I believe SE exports DXF's as ASCII.  Open one in Notepad.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Right,

I thought it might be a ST 7 or ST 8 switch since I am on ST 6

~Tushar

[ Edited ]

I looked at files exported from SE in 2000.DXF

and a file exported from Draft sight 2000.DXF (ASCII specified)

Both of them refer to ANSI and both refer to an AutoCAD build number. But I don't see the term ASCII anywhere and the files are very different. SE is adding all kinds of formatting that Draft sight is not. I didn't have an easy way to compare the total amount of entries.

The only thing I am for sure on is that our plasma machine crashes with the direct export from SE.

If I take the DXF exported from SE, then open and save that from Draft sight, then the Plasma machine does not crash.

My best guess is still that SE is exporting Binary and not ASCII

Side note: When testing various formats to see what didn't crash the machine, I found that 2007 ASCII files loaded up the fastest. So that is my current first choice. The 2000 format does work and is the newest format SE exports. So 2000 becomes the even playing field for testing.

I attached the two files to compare. The Draft Sight file is much smaller. So even is SE is exporting ASCII, the additional formatting must be a problem for the software we importing the file too.

How are you creating your DXF files? Save as Flat, DXF from drawing sheet, or DXF from inside draw in view?

I have seen problems due to two issues on our CNC burning machine. Issue one was that our CNC could not handle Bsplines, so when saving as flat DXF from sheet metal you had to make certain that we had simplify Bsplines checked in flat pattern features in the sheet metal environment. This is only applicable for items with curves, which oyur examples do not have.

The second issue we had resulted from saving from a drawing, either from the drawing sheet or from inside the drawing view. This problem was caused by SE defaulting to saving views as blocks and our CNC could not read blocks. In the SEACAD.INI file there is a line for this which out of the box is set to 1:

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

I belive I have found that the problem lies in exporting the dxf as well. Take a line entity for instance. The dxf codes begin with a starting point, and three codes (10,20,30) that describe the real world coordinate vector. Codes (11,21,31) describe the scaled vector. The ratio of the magnitue between the two vectors is the scale factor. When solid edge scales, it then places the same number as the real world coordinate in the scaled vector! In other words, and I could be wrong, it seems there isn't enough due diligence in reporting the correct numbers to the dxf file exchange standard by solid edge. See if you can do some translations and get the same result?