Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF file modification problem

Creator
Creator

So my problem is this. I am working on a project for a customer. I was given a pdf file of a logo I converted it to a dxf file and created my file for the project. I went to cut the part out on my cnc plasma cutter. I use a program called sheetcam everything showes up as drawn I then go to the final step in my mach3 to cut the part and the only thing that showes is the lines I inserted with solid edge. I was told it has to do with the layers. How do I save all layers to be cut. 

17 REPLIES

Re: DXF file modification problem

Legend
Legend
You are using solid edge to export the finished dxf? Maybe check the options for your dxf export, make sure it's exporting to dxf? I seem to remember blocks being an issue with some software I have used. I had to make sure and unblock anything in the dxf.

Trying to remember all the different situations when I did this same process for a CNC router........

Creator
Creator

Yes i make sure to save as a DXF. What do you mean by blocks?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI there @Deawn,

Yes, I think the same as @Trikefreak here, with regards to making sure to run the "Unblock All" command to the geometry before exporting.....maybe make sure all cut geometry [we put etching on a different layer] is on one layer also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP4] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

i tried unblocking all and it still has not done what i need. do i need to do something with my layers? if so how do i do that. could you make a video by chance?

Legend
Legend

when you open the dxf, and use a draft as the template, does the dxf have one "block" around any part of the file? You click on it and it shows kind of a square outside the lines/arcs/ect. It won't allow you to pick only one line withing that block, they are locked together within a "block". If you do have, you hightlight and choose to unblock. Think there's a command up in the ribbon bar.

You can also try to select all (and see there are no "blocks"), and then change them all to continuous. That will put them all on the same layer, I believe. Like Sean explained, you can pick some of your dxf on another layer.

Capture.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Deawn,

Any chance you could share a file that is giving you problems?......would make it far easier to pinpoint a solution.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP4] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

this is the file i am working on at the moment. i added the border and moved and modified the letters.

Legend
Legend

try it now, you had numerous blocks in there, I unblocked it all, and then hightlighted everything and set to continous lines

Creator
Creator

i tried that it shows everything to cut other than the the frame border. how did you un block it all and do continous lines?