DXF is not allowing our CNC bender to bend the file

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have a sheetmetal file that for some reason (when creating the flat) is not having the bend line touch the outer profile of the part. That in turn does not allow our CNC operators to use the DXF to bend the part for them. Has anyone else experienced this with ST6? The line is short by .0000953" I attached the file (psm, dft, & dxf) and the problem area resides with the small tab. I believe this to be a Solid Edge issue. Would others agree?
7 REPLIES

Re: DXF is not allowing our CNC bender to bend the file

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just want to add that we are using Autoform software on our Cinncinati brake press.

Phenom
Phenom

Mike, I can reproduce the same measurements when saving as flat from ST7. If you look at the other bends, you'll notice those bend lines are also over or under extended by similarly minuscule amounts.. Does your bend software have some sort of filter tolerance that you can increase so these differences are ignored? I have similar laser/bend software that has a filter tolerance I can change at-will to solve this exact issue. The fact that it's choking on a less than 0.0001" line endpoint difference is really surprising.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a Solid Edge quality issue wouldn't you agree?

Phenom
Phenom

Yes, but I can't help you with that, hence my other questions......

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't believe the bending software does have any filter ability to overcome that.  I would think that would be an excellent solution.  I am planning to call the rep today.  I know they have their own proprietary flattening software, but I don't feel we should have to involve another step.  Solid Edge should export accurate geometry.  I feel it's just plan sloppy math.

Do you mind sharing what laser/bend software you are using?

Mike

Phenom
Phenom

Mike, I use Si-CAM, but long ago gave up on the bending portion of it and now use it only for laser nesting....you probably have something MUCH better than that. 

I'd be really surprised if they didn't have some adjustable tolerance filter for these bend lines. This is a common problem because everyone has their own absolute accuracy when exporting/importing data. 

As far as getting the Solid Edge portion corrected, you should open an IR with GTAC so they are made aware of the issue. I've never had a problem because of these end trims, and 95% of my work is sheet metal. If no one else has caught this, you have your answer as to why this behavior still exists.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

IR 7223234 - DXF flat pattern has been entered.

I was able to take the profile & bend lines of the problem file and create a new psm and then it created a good DXF.