Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Data Management on Google Drive

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I contacted Google Support and they told me, that it is possible to install the Personal Sync app on my computer.

I then created a folder on my computer and made Google Drive Personal sync it.

The folder is now synced to Google Drive (different from My Drive and Team Drive) and that drive is shared with other group members.

Already uploaded settings files etc. and all seems to work.

All files placed locally now, synced to Google Drive - fast and smooth.

Will try to sync the folder with a co-worker tomorrow to see if it works.

Just need to play a bit more with it Smiley Happy

Thanks for the help.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Kenneth

exactly what I have done with the "old2 Google Drive (didn't update so far) and what I thought it should work for You too.

Keep us informed and share Your experience after a couple of days.

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

After installing the Google application called "Drive File Stream" my CAD models started to misbehave more than before. Previously I sometimes had issues with only getting read-only access when editing parts in asssembly. Closing the part and selecting edit again fixed that, probably due to some time-out falts or similar issues.

Now, after installing "Drive File Stream" (DFS) and removing the old Google Drive software, I am suddenly unable to save an edited assembly. I save once or twice every hour but suddenly during a very long work session even a new revision failed to succeed saving:

Skjermbilde.PNG

Also, opening and saving is slow, about half the speed of what it used to be using Google Drive. I assume this is due to same or other software faults/incompatibilities between Solid Edge ST10 and the Google Stream application.

If I remove DFS and instead use Google Backup and Sync (GBS) for Solid Edge files, will tah fix these issues?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Jan_BosHow many SE users share and work with this database?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Currently only one (me). But I use two stationary machines and a laptop and need to keep everything synchronized.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Was there any resolution in this case? We seem to have the same issue. G Suite with Drive File Stream suddenly started messing with assembly files. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I got an update regarding this.

We had a lot of problems using Google for our cloud storage and decided to use Dropbox instead.

Even simple tasks as syncing local folders, started to be hard.

We swapped to dropbox and it all works flawlessly now.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I also gave up using Google sync & drive.
I am now using a different file sync & cloud storage service that work well. Seems the issues we had were related to Google disk drivers does not interact with the files the way Siemens software expects. At least not in SE ST10/2019.

Experimenter
Experimenter

We had to "hack" together a solution. Our mechanical designer is using the Google Backup and Sync Driver (The old Google drive client, that downloads files), against his "My Drive"-drive, with a mirror image of the public design files on "Team Drive"/"Shared Drive" Mechanics, and then we set up a scheduled task on his workstation that copies all the files from his local "My Drive" copy, into the "Team Drive". 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@DGerber 

Ye, we did that too and it works.

It's just a lot easier with Dropbox or similar.