Solved! Go to solution

Decimals versus fractions

My shop guys are complaining because they prefer fractions. I have tried explaining why we use decimals for accuracy. Can Solid Edge even display in fractions? We are working with a structrual steel and sheet metal program also.

31 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author michele
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Decimals versus fractions

Hi Michele,

You can display fraction for a dimension by right clicking on the dimension and going into the properties dialogue.  In the roundoff pulldown, you will see various fractional roundoffs.  In the units pulldown, you can also select the display for ft-in if desired.  

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

[ Edited ]

Hi Michele,

Further to Kyle's great info, you'd need to set this and save as a style, then save to a template for re-use.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks to you both. And thank you also for such a quick response! I really appreciate having knowledgeable people so close for every "odd ball" question that pops up!

Thanks again, Michele

I don't want to hyjack the thread, but I have a related issue. Sometimes I input fractions but the system in saving only 3 digits. How do I set up the system to use more digits for design peramiters only. The reason this is important is I need combinations of things to add up to whole numbers. I can go edit one thing to adjust the total, but the next time I go into the file, the numbers are off again because of the differance between fraction and decimals. Typical input fractions are 3/32 or 5/63 for bending machine bend radius. But the software tend to only remember 0.156 instead of the fraction 5/64

When I go to settings from a draft file, there are loads of setting for the default display. But when in an assembly file, I cant find where to turn up the resolution past 3 decimal places. I need 4 or 5 so that the 3rd decimal never changes on me.

Not sure abut your exact issue there.....maybe if you just change all templates to metric, the pain will lifted.  Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

The decimal places displayed in a dimension are controlled by the dimension style. However, the display of decimal places when you click on a dimension is controlled by properties.

Click the big Solid Edge button, the properties, and then file properties. Select the Units tab and set the precision to the desired number of decimal places. I have this set to the maximum seven decimal places in all templates so I can catch rounding errors and make sure I am not creating problems that might bite me later. My dimension style in models is also set to dispaly 7 places.

From there I have dimension styles set up in my drafting template with decimal rounding for 1 - 4 places and fraction rounding set to 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64. I have a style for each rounding both horizontal and vertical to cover me for coordinate dimensionsing.

HTH,

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Is there a way to display 3 digits in annotation while the part is set to 7 digit precision?

Annotations are controlled by styles. You can set your styles to display
whatever you want independent of the precision setting. You can adjust the
ANSI style in the template or you can use the ANSI style as a basis to
create new styles. You simply select the style you wish to use before oyu
place the dimensions.

Bob
Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Annotation style does control how the annotation looks, but there are no controls within styles for the number of decimal places displayed. When I change the parts precision, this also changes the number of digits in annotation display.

This is very similar to another problem I have had since the start. No way to control the row height on hole tables. They issues the code half complete. I hope these issues are resoved in ST7.