Default program for Hole database in ST7

[ Edited ]

Hello All

Is there a way to open the hole database (under Hole Option)  in a program other that microsoft excel? I mean to change the settings to open the database by default in OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Any help here would be apprecaited.

Thanks

10 REPLIES

Re: Default program for Hole database in ST7

Can you right click on custom.xml and use "open with" to select your editor?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Yes I am open to open it, where can I locate these settings?

Not sure I understand but the hole parameters are in custom.xml and that file is usually located in:

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Preferences\custom.xml

Bruce Shand

yes the location is correct, let me see if I could find something.. if you come across something do let me know.. thank you in advance Smiley Happy

Your hole setting are stored in the ANSI Inch.xlsx file. if you want to store your own personal settings. you need to use saved settings. this is stored in the custom.XML file. i never had good luck editing this file out side of solid edge.. you can also alter the ANSI Inch.xlsx file if you wish

That's true. My bad. Custom.xml just saves the saved settings from the hole options dialog. The Excel files in the folder under prefrences should be editable directly, not thru the hole dialog, with any xlsx compatible spreadsheet program.

I'm not sure why you would not have good luck editing it outside of SE. The interface looks identical. It just opens an instance of Excel as if you had done it outside of SE.

Bruce Shand

you need to go to your Start menu.  Search for Default settings and change the default program for .xml files to open office or what have you

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

[ Edited ]

Except he doesn't need to open the xml file, he needs to open xls files. But Tausee you could try the default settings for xls files too although if you don't care if you open the xls file from the hole dialog you can just open them directly.

Bruce Shand

If you don't own Excel (or any other MS Office prodcut) you can go on-line here: 

https://office.live.com/start/default.aspx

You have to copy your spreadsheet up to Microsoft OneDrive to open it, but after editing you can download it back to your local drive. I use this for working at home on non-work stuff because I don't own a copy of MS Office anymore and don't always have my work laptop with me.

It seems to work fine for me.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC