Solved! Go to solution

Define unit of measure properties

I searched, and can't find what I'm looking for: setup a part file with custom unit of measure (ft, each, lbs, etc) and have the option to choose decimal amounts. I've worked elsewhere that this was setup in the file properties/custom tab. It must have been a script written in the propseed, maybe? We could setup a part to what unit of measure you wanted, and if you wanted the option to use decimal values (1.25). Then in an assembly, we could adjust the unit of measure, via the occurance properties, for that part(s) when needed.

Can someone lead me in the right direction, please?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
6 REPLIES

Re: Define unit of measure properties

[ Edited ]

SE application button (upper LH corner)

Properties

File Properties

Units tab

HTH

I only see length options. I'm lookin for each, or pounds. Am I doing something wrong?

My past employer had this setup in the part file properties, custom tab. You chose unit of measure, what unit of measure you wanted, and if you wanted whole numbers or decimals.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

see this video...  are these not the setting you are looking for?

http://screencast.com/t/1MtA0wK4z5

if not file property setting the only other dimension option is dimensions styles...

http://screencast.com/t/SrLYb9lBcc

let us know???

No, that is not getting me what I'm looking for, but I appreciate your suggestions.

I am using an adjustable aluminum angle in an assembly. When I'm all done, I want to know how many sticks of that 20' angle I need. If I can set my unit of properties at EACH, then I can give decimal equivalants in the occurance properties of the assembly. My BOM then would state that I need 1.75 sticks of this 20' angle iron.

Maybe that's not the correct way to do it, especially with adjustable parts? We also used to put paint or power coat .par files into our assemblies. Set the unit of measure for pounds for that .par file, and then set the occrance properties in the assembly to what was needed (42 lbs of powder).

Again, maybe I've been tought the wrong way to do it, and without those scripts to make those settings, I'm SOL anyhow. So, if you have your BOM tell you how many pieces of angle you need, pounds of powder, gallons of paint, pieces of lexan, how do you folks do it?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author BoatTech
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

YES! That's what I was looking for, thank you kindly.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.