Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Mobile Workstation

Phenom
Phenom

I am looking at buying a new mobile workstation for some contract work I have scheduled for 2018. 

Does anyone have any current experience with the Dell Mobile Workstation class computers and the Dell solid state drives? I have used mobile precision machines in the past, but I have not spec'd one out in a few years and I have never used a solid state drive.

I am currently looking at the 7000 series units, the 7520 in particular with 32 GB of RAM. It has the i7 7700 Quad core processor and an Nvidia Quadro graphics card w/ 4 GB of memory.

I will be working with all of the Solid Edge data on the local machine, possibly using a DropBox arrangement.

Dells lists their SSD as class 20, 30, & 40 and I have nothing to compare that to. My previous experience with the Mobile Precision used a conventional HD. I found it to be fairly slow compared to my previous desktop workstation with high speed drives.

This is the offering for the SSD's:

Dell HD Options.jpg

Anything you could share from an experience standpoint would be great. I obviously don't want to pay for something with minimal impact. I am looking at a 1 TB drive to hold all of the data for the project.

Any other opinions and thoughts on the Dell would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Bob

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317
11 REPLIES

Re: Dell Mobile Workstation

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hey there @rehenryjr,

NICE.....I've just recently had built 2 new workstations, each with an i7 8700K, [M.2] NVMe SSD, and Quadro P2000.......so performance is up compared to our previous equipment, one of which was my 3yo Surface Pro3. Robot wink

I found this Dell SSD classification image, that might be of help explaining their listing terminology.....

Dell graph.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Finding another supplier or building it your self will give you more bang/buck than any of the common established PC companies like Dell, HP, etc....

If you want a great computer and are willing to pay for it, check out BOXX

If you want a good computer for minimal cost and good performance, check out XI

Dell is one of the worst bang/buck options out there.

Phenom
Phenom

It has to be a mobile unit so building it myself is not an option. 

I have been using Dell workstation class machines for SE since about 2000 and, while they may not be the most inexpensive units, I have never had a problem with them and they have never left me down.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr  We don't run Dell but do run the HP variant (Z book) using the PCIe SSD's (HP's Turbo Z drive).  Awesome performance. I think your equivalent according to @SeanCresswell chart he provided would be the class 40 or 50.  At that point the difference between them is not noticable so I would go with the class 40.  We also only run a single drive so we are using a 512 GB sized one but our PC drives are not used for any storage other than installed application... only file caching as a result of PDM or OneDrive.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks @KennyG and @SeanCresswell

After a little further study, I think I will drop down to a 512 GB Class 40 SSD and then add a standard 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA drive as a second HD. The SE database I will be working with will fit easily on the 512 SSD and I figure that is the best place for it for high speed operation. I will likely use a DropBox arrangement so the SE database will be cached on my PC.

The SATA drive will be for storing non-SE data and documentation. This seems like a more cost effective solution.

The unit I am looking at is the Dell 7510 and I have spec'd an Nvidia M2000M graphics card w/ 4 GB. Any graphics card comments? I will be working with some pretty large assemblies.

I have been working in coporate america for the past 12 years and basically had to take whatever corporate IT gave me. It has been a while since I had to spec. my own machine and I have fallen behind a bit on the computer tech side.

Thanks,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr  The "2000" range Quadro is what we have been running in our last 3 HP Z Book generations and they work well.  Our current generation (G4) is running the M2200 and our prior generation (G3) was using the M2000M.  We don't do massive assemblies as ours are typically under 1000 components but we had no issue with those running the older "1000" range of mobile Quadros...

Ken

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Bob,

My development machine is also a 7510. It has two drives - one 7200RPM SATA and one SSD - I think the SSD is the Class 40 as well. The SATA drive is used for the OS, applications, etc. The SSD drive is used for my development platform as well as SE data. While in a perfect world the best performance would be two SSD drives, this is a nice tradeoff of cost vs. performance. The SSD makes a huge difference every time I need to download a new development platform to the machine because it is a large amount of data coming across the network that needs to be written to the drive.

As far as graphics cards, mine has a M1000M w/ 2GB of memory. I have not seen any performance issues with it. The models I see when dealing with customer models range anywhere from simple parts to very large assemblies. I would think the M2000M w/ 4GB would be even better. One thing I will comment on here is that I have the onboard graphics disabled and always use the dedicated NVidia card. This will definitely affect battery performance, but I am usually running either docked or have the machine plugged in if I am going to use it for any significant amount of time.

Hope this helps at least a little,

Greg

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@rehenryjr  As @GregLuckett mentioned, we also turn off the onboard graphics in BIOS and use the NVIDIA graphics exclusively.

Ken

Phenom
Phenom
Thanks @GregLuckett for the good information.

From a Solid Edge performance perspective does it make sense then to have the SATA drive as the main drive for the OS and SE application and then store the SE data on the SSD? I was thinking the reverse initially.

Does it help to have SE on the same drive as the data? Or does this not matter?
Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317