Dell T5810 Workstation Not Optimized for Solid Edge??

Builder
Builder

Edger

I was was shocked to notice that after purchasing the T5810 the latest dell CAD optimization software does not include Solid Edge in their extensive list of CAD App.  The only thing from Siemens is NX where it claim to increase the performance of NX by 57%????

But no solid edge or even previous version of Solid edge and this is very disappointing.  Obviously Ive asked Dell WHY??   But has any edgers out there with this wks noticed this......

We still stuggle to find any performance gains with this system and Solid Edge ST9 MP3 on Win 7 64bit SP1 + 32GB ECC and Xeon 3.7Ghz-4 on turbo?????  All certified drvs and just MS office 2016 and pdf software installed   We use Quadro M4000 + 362.13 drv that Siemens suggest from matrix.

Yes AV End protection turned on but all Solid Edge folders and files excluded.

Cheers

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
DELL T5810 3.7-4Ghz 32Gb ECC
18 REPLIES

Re: Dell T5810 Workstation Not Optimized for Solid Edge??

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I have noticed the same issue with Dell Precision Optimizer app.

There is Solidworks, Siemens NX, Autodesk, Creo etc - but no Solid Edge whatsoever.

Shame Siemens, shame...

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP10

Phenom
Phenom

I started using SE on a Dell T3600. It was very limited.

Dells have small power supplies, are expensive for solid state drives, vid cards, and CPU power.

While doing my shopping Boxx and Xi were the fast computers. 

HP, Dell, and other Common PC makers wanted twice the cash for less powerful machines.

SE is a single threaded program, So more than two CPU's is useless unless you do lots of rendering/FEA.

The Mhz, and Hard drive access times are everything other than enough Vid card to keep Vid processing off the CPU.

I ended up with a Boxx Apex II. Fastest PC I have ever used. 4.5Ghz and Raid-0 w/ 3.5ms solid state drives.

The only issues I have had with it is that SE and Nvidia are not playing nice with each other. This is not Boxx's fault.

Builder
Builder

Arek

i wounder who's fault that is or perhaps neither care..   I hope Dell would act because that comes across as a law suite especially if you live in California.   It seems like dell are treating solid edge as insignificant Cad product or at least one that doesn't make their list even thought they mention it on their promo web site for t5810??

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Is it logical to speculate that the Solidworks profile might be appropriate for SE? I don't know.

Also, based on this comment from a website: "But if you are not only interested in getting the most out of your current workstation, but also interested in having the best configuration for your workloads, then your hidden gem in the DPO is the workload analysis feature. With it in hand, you will adapt, upgrade and customize your workstation to be the best performing, most cost-effective system possible." it seems like there may be tools in the software to help set up a profile yourself.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

It would be really helpful for you to state specifically what performance issue you are suffering from and a bit about your assemblies/parts. Is the issue view rotation speed? File open speed? Drawing creation>? Something else?

How many total parts in your asms? how many unique parts? Are your parts prismatic mostly or lots of drafting/casting/helix, that kind of thing?

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Builder
Builder

Dan

1.5 Gb total size with a part count of approximately 1500 parts so really not much and to be expected 20% into the project. We are building a Lithium Hydroxide mining plant. Our data is the same as GR Engineering.

We model most parts in Solid edge even if supplied a vendor model in a neutral format as this can result in heavy models after translation. We always ask for parasolids if we have to.

We are monitoring and testing data for any errors to keep top level assemblies clean and exercise large assembly practices like simplified assy and zones especially for generating a large GA drawing view.. We recently improved performance by deleting all xpress route links to our battery limit part files for our roughing pipe. We suddenly saw a big improvement. We also turn off all links.

We did see the windows rating index increase from 6 to 8 on these new Dell T5810. I am just looking to squeeze more performance out of the wks but was shocked to see Solid Edge not making to the Dell list for their performance optimisation. It would be good if Solid Edge was on the list but NX is the only Siemens CAD product on it. Any ideas?

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit

Builder
Builder

yes logical I asked Dell the same question they replied by saying they wouldn't recommend it.  For eg use the NX profile for SE or the Solid Works profile for SE?

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit

Builder
Builder

Dan to be more specific.  ST9 MP2 or MP3 appears to have a lot of latency.  These are the performance drag we are seeing since moving from ST8 to ST9.

For example I can sit and wait for ST9 to display a dialog taking approx 5-10sec to display.  This was not observered in ST8 or any previous versions of SE apart from ST 5 maybe.  In general we are seeing observable latencies just using ST9.  

I know its picking small holes but they add up quickly in multi user environments.  These are recently loaded windows 7 64bit SP1 Sys on certified Dell wks hardware.

Unfortunately user feedback on ST9 has been very poor related to performance.  There is clearly a reason for this and we are working to resolve the slow lane problem. 

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit
Highlighted

Builder
Builder

Ok was contacted by Dell support and they told me Solid Edge is certified to run with this wks but their app called Dell optimizer is not compatible with Solid Edge.....

So I guess and make the assumption we have to wait for the next version before it is compatible but they gave me no indication of this at all.......Anyone else think thats odd?  This only came to light due to the really poor performance and latency we encountered imediately after ST9 and its latest patch was installed on these new Dell wks.....

For anyone woundering I'm well aware there are faster systems out there than the T5810 but we are restricted to certifications and stability which very much limits your intel architecture and base frequencies....comes across as a catch 22.

ST9
WIN 7Pro 64bit