Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Manager - ST10

Phenom
Phenom

I am using Design Manager to find all of the drawings associated with an assembly so I can copy them to a folder to batch print them.

When I open the assembly in ST10 Design Manager, select the assembly and all of its component parts, and run a "Where Used", it is giving me all file types where that the assembly and parts are used. In previous versions I could select to only search for .dft, which is what I want to do now. 

ST10 DM seems to skip over that step where I previously could select what file types to look for. It takes off and immediately runs the Where Used finding next level assemblies in addition to drafts. 

Has something changed? Is there a setting I need to tweak? What am I missing.

I ultimately get what I want since the drafts are included, it just causes me to look thru more files that I am used to doing. I know I can select by file type after running where used and select all drafts, but I am curious about this change in behavior.

TIA,

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317
16 REPLIES

Re: Design Manager - ST10

Phenom
Phenom

Upon further examination and experimentation, I guess this is a function of having my options set to "Use Solid Edge Document Management". When I switch this off, Design Manager where sued operates the same way it did in ST9. 

This is not a big deal - just different and caught me by surprise. 

I guess I would still prefer to have the option to tell the system what I want it to look for in regard to where used, but I guess this is progress? It is certainly fast, even with the additional searching it is doing so I guess there is no real downside.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You don't have a "process options" button on the where used dialog?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand No. Once I select the files and hit where used, it goes off and does its search without giving me any options that I am used to from ST9 and before.

When finished it returns this window:

Design Manager Where Used.png

Note the grayed out Back and Next Buttons.

I guess it makes sense that since the document management system "knows" where the links are that and does not ask me to provide a search location. However, it would still be nice to be able to select the type of files I want to look for.

As I said, if I switch off SE document management, then it behaves in the way I am used to seeing it.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Odd

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Design Manager has been working like that as you wrote since I turned on data management and I am happy with it.

It is more faster than the regular method. I guess the regular method is checking the file structure for linked documents and it can be very slow if there are a lot of files. So it can be faster if it only has to check for given extension(s).

When data managment is turned on all files has indexed by Windows Search as I know. Thereafter Design Manager is checking for linked documents in the index table. Since it is way faster than the regular one it should not need any facilitations.

I had checked what if I copy one of my project to a non-indexed folder and I experienced an issue. Design Manager does not find any linked document in this case. This is dangerous because it can cause broken links and/or data loss. In my opinion Design Manager should use regular file cheking method when files are in non-indexed folder. If somebody know about an option for this, please let us know Smiley Happy

SE ST10 MP5
Win10 1709 16299.309

Phenom
Phenom

I don't disagree on any of your points. My only comment is that I used the document management in ST9 and it worked differently and ST10 surprised me. I used the indexed arrangement in ST9 as well.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phenom
Phenom

Why is it that I seem to be the only one who, when using where used, it tells me that I'm searching in non-indexed locations when I'm not? I don't know why this is, and yes we've installed the data management stuff on our file server, and ran indexing. No clue if it's running as fast as it should or if it's finding all applicable files either.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

nominus38 schrieb:

Why is it that I seem to be the only one who, when using where used, it tells me that I'm searching in non-indexed locations when I'm not? I don't know why this is, and yes we've installed the data management stuff on our file server, and ran indexing. No clue if it's running as fast as it should or if it's finding all applicable files either.

Hi @nominus38

when You get a not indexed info from the file server data, although You know that it is indexed, then maybe the connection to the server is not done correctly.

What I remember to do with using shared server data is, that You must not use a mapped drive but only a UNC share path to take advantage of the index service.

Maybe this helps.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

@hawcadCan you tell if I'm trying it correctly in this?

index.JPG

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"