Design Manager - Selection of files

Phenom
Phenom

I have a poject assembly with +- 100 unique files. 60 files are project specific and 40 are company standard files. Each file is used more than once, so the list, after a click on "expand all" 

I want to use a copy of this one as a start for a new project. To select all the project specific files i a huge time consumer or I am doing it wrong.

How can I select fast all the files that are in a specific folder to make a copy to a new location?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user
7 REPLIES

Re: Design Manager - Selection of files

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Use the "select files" tool and use any unique strings like the folder name along with the "*" wildcards to specify the folder you want. You can also select all first and then use the "deselect" to unselect standard files.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I typically select all, then deselect the "standard parts"

Because all of my standard parts are all in the same directory structure, it's easy for me to identify.

The problem is when the standard parts are linked. Then you have to take the standard parts for the ride with the rest of the model, and loose the ability for updates to automatically flow through when the parts are edited.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGEI don't follow.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Whenever I use "includes" from standard parts, they become linked to the assembly.

If they are linked and you make a copy of the assembly, then the part has to go with or the link is broken. So the assembly now references (uses and links) a copy of the part, not the original.

I have yet to learn/figure out/ know if it's possible to make a copy of an assembly where links are present, and maintain pointers from the old and new assembly to the same standard part that is linked.

I can fix it be replacing the new copied linked part with the original part in the new assembly, but I typically don't take the time for that.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you copy the assembly and the parts, the include links from the copied parts should maintain. If you copy the assembly, but not the parts, the links to the uncopied parts should maintain. That's the whole point of using RM or DM. If it's not working then you're likely doing something wrong.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

Then I am doing something wrong. I have no way of figuring out what. No time to make movies of what I'm doing and post them.

But here is the start of the problem. If I try to NOT copy linked document I get a warning the link will be lost when starting the copy, to avoid the warining I copy the linked documents.

Phenom
Phenom

That's what I tried before asking here.

But... 

I wrote "bibliotheek, not*bibliotheek*.*

Intuitive...

Thanks for yout help!

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user