Design Manager & Where Used.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a question on design manager (and related where used).

We have a ‘problem’ with Design manager… on multiple computers, with multiple users.

Every once and now Design Manager will not find any related documents when using the Where Used function to find related files; No ASM, no PAR, no DFT etc…

This seems to be related to a non-registered DLL (SEPropertyHandler.dll).

Re-registering the required dll will solve the problem for now, but somehow it seems the registration gets lost again after either a certain time, a certain windows update or…..

Does anyone else encounter this same (strange) behavior of Design Manager / Where Used function?

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com
9 REPLIES

Betreff: Design Manager & Where Used.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Marc @marcboom

this is something a also thought to be happened after MP2 installation.

Maybe the Maintanence Pack does destroy the registry entry.

But this has to be confirmed.

I had the same issue the last days, where I have seen that the "Where Used" doesn't bring any results.

So I walked through the Fast Search installation tips and did a register of the SEpropertieshandler.dll

Theer is another open issue for me at the moment, that any search either using the explorer search field or the open search form of SE, that any search string for document number, title etc. doesn't get any results, but with a complete list (e.g. all parts in the directory) shows them there in the right colums.

So properties exist but cann't be used for search.

Especially searching for numbers which include "0"  fails.

Can this be confirmed by anybody?

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello Wolfgang,

when you type in "sedocnum:" in the Explorer search field, does it turn blue once you type in the ':' (colon)?

If not, then you won't get any search results, as Windows Explorer doesn't recognize the mnemonic. Based on our experience, this can be fixed by restarting Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps,

MIchael

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

so to be more specific within this subject, I must say that astonishingly today the search for sedocnum:  in explorer works as it should and of course sedocnum get blue after the colon.

But the same search from Solid Edge Search (fast search) will bring no single result, although these are the same files, the search window will show the document number (as well as the file name which also has that number in it) after a gloabal search listing but not for a specific search.

Could it be, that the placeholder we are using (*) will result in the wrong file lists or empty results?

The problem is that searching for e.g. *57* will not bring any result while *0057* shows the founded files.

For me it has to do with the "0" in the name or in the docnumber

regards
Wolfgang

Wolgang,

thanks for the clarification.

Now I think I'm able to reproduce some of what you are seeing - I tested a search against the Training folder for a particular document number (in this case *147*):

• Training folder not indexed
    • Document Number - contains "147" --> finds bolt.par
    • Document Number - contains "00147" --> finds bolt.par
  • Training folder indexed
    • Document Number - contains "147" --> doesn't find bolt.par
    • Document Number - contains "00147" --> finds bolt.par

So, it seems there is indeed a difference in behavior of the 'contains' clause if Fast Search is turned on. I think this is a bug and suggest to call GTAC so we can get to the bottom of this.

Michael

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

thank You  very, very much!

This is the first time, that somebody else could reproduce and confirm that behaviour.

Untill now I thought taht I have done something wrong or missunderstood something.

OK, this should be now go to GTAC - I think there should be an OR already, since I'm playing with that issue for months now.

PS.: Which operating system are You using?

Win7 or Win10?

Maybe this also is a factor.

regards
Wolfgang

Glad I could help - I'm using Win8.1.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

can anybody test wether the search for "male" in the title field will find "male" as well as "female" documents.

Here I must search for "female" to get ONLY the female (OK) but a search for "male" in the title also ONLY shows "male" document what IMHO also is wrong.

A "*male" doesn't change anything.

This again ONLY is true for the search in explorer but not for the fast search in Solid Edge.

So the fast search will work totally different for explorer and Solid Edge.

This makes it extremely difficult to know how to use it.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

I can also reproduce very odd behavior in Explorer search.  Maybe more clues here?

Say I have a folder with files "KM000173-A" through "KM000176-A".

Typing in the search box starting with KM seems to work correctly, narrowing down the results as you get through the filename.  Trying for partial filename hits gives the following results:

Typing "0" gives all part and assembly files

Typing "00" gives all part and assembly files

Typing "000" gives only KM000173-A, which happens to be the assembly file

Typing "0001" gives all part and assembly files

Typing "00017" gives only KM000173-A, the assembly file

Typing "000173" or "000174" etc gives no results.

The assembly .cfg file doesn't come up in any results (named "KM000173-A.cfg")

Starting with "M" gives all files to begin, but then after "M0" gives nothing.

--Ryan

Lab Machinist Solutions, LLC
Waltham, MA, USA
http://www.labmachinist.com

Ryan,

it is true, that if one just starts typing characters into the Explorer search box, it is not entirely clear what property the Windows indexer uses to find the match - I haven't figured it out myself yet: sometimes it will use the document number as the match (make sure you have the column turned on to be able to validate the highlighted match) and sometimes it highlights something in the file name ...

one other comment:

• cfg files will never come up if you just start typing, (a) because they dont have a document number and (b) because they are not indexed.

Michael