Design Manager deletes part number and revision information in file properties when using save as

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm still struggling with the new Design Manager and it's slowing me down a lot.  The latest problem occurs when I want to copy an assembly since I'm making a big change to it.  First, I can't use the right click method because there is a known but yet unrepaired bug in ST9 that affects some machines including mine.  So I have to launch Design Manager (DM) separately.  When I open the assembly, I just want to copy it to a new file name and since there is no "copy" function, I have to use the "save as" function.  That seems to work OK, but now I'm finding that DM erases the part number and revision I enter in the properties of the assembly file.  DM completely blanks out the document number field in part properties and change whatever resvision I had entered back to "1".  Now I have to go back and re-enter these fields.  I use the part number field to populate the title block of my drawings.  I'll be entering a PR on this one.  I would really like to have Revision Manger back at this point.  At least I could trust it.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
17 REPLIES

Re: Design Manager deletes part number and revision information in file properties when using save a

PLM World Member Phenom

IR 7861246

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Re: Design Manager deletes part number and revision information in file properties when using save a

Phenom
Phenom

I can help with one part of it. ST9 by default includes automatic revision management. Anything after a - (dash) in the file name is assume to be the revision. The file manager automatically revises the names accordingly.

The most common solution is to charge the revision character to a ^ instead. Since most don't use that in file name and part names, that issues is effectively bypassed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Funny you mention this. Just today we discovered that it does this with unmanaged files but retains the doc number, etc. with Insight managed files.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE, "Save as" shouldn't cause a rev change in any case.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I have a related question about Save as.

In this case, I'm not talking about a save as in the revision manager, but in the Assembly environment.

Sometimes I want to export a copy of a part that was created in context so that I can break the links and use it elsewhere. The problem is, when doing a save as in the assembly environment, the program wants to move all the links to the new file and disconnect them from the original part. My goal is to leave the originals one in tact and save out a copy during a specific step of the modeling process without stopping the work flow. 

In general, how does one "save copy as" from the assembly environment?

PLM World Member Phenom

"Anything after a - (dash) in the file name is assume to be the revision."

I hope not becuase that will make a mess of our file naming system.  I rely on using a dash for suffixes in part numbers.  We have products that come in different sizes and I use suffixes to define them.

Also, my revision and delimiter options are grayed out.

One big problem is that I've never worked with a managed file system and even at this time, we only have two users and no real need for it yet.  The help files for Design Manager are shallow at best.  Most of the "help" topics just repeat the subject and don't provide a "why or how".  Design Manager is a big change from Revision Manager and there is no transition guideline on how to change the workflow to accomodate this change.  As I've mentioned before, copying a file is now done with "save as".  This is completely inconsistent with what happens if you use "save as" from the application menu.  In the application menu, there is a "save as" and a "save copy as".  I'll be attending a class at SEU2016 but right now, I feel DM is half baked and buggy at the expense of productivity and consistency.

Kyle

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As @12GAGE said, you can change the revision delimiter to something else. Basically the 5 allowed characters are -_.^` giving you  dash, underscore, period, caret, and I think the last one is the symbol that shares the key with the ~ tilde. Anyone who knows more or different don't be shy.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

Rene Ramirez from GTAC helped me solve the problem.  Way down at the bottom of the list in options.xml is a setting for file naming rules.  Mine was switched to not allow overrrides.  Changing that allowed me to set the file naming rules in Solid Edge to none.  This must have changed between ST8 and ST9 or did not exist in ST8.

Either way, GTAC to the rescue!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Where do you set the naming rules to none?

Bruce Shand