Solved! Go to solution

Design Manager vs. Revision Manager Functionality

Greetings,

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Design Manager to do what Revision Manager called a "Copy"?  

We use a lot of linked documents (ex. mirrored parts) as well as hardware that is used in multiple sub-assemblies within an assembly (screws, nuts, etc.).  With Revision Manager, if we just wanted to quickly copy all of the files to a new assembly so we could try out some edits without affecting the original parts, you could set the action to Copy, edit the path to a new folder and Revision Manager would copy the entire assembly to the new folder.  It was a nice, easy way of creating a quarantined model (especially for new trainees)

With Design Manager, there seems to be two methods of doing this, both with major flaws.

1.  "Save As" - When you use this method, Design Manager tries to create copies of every instance of a part (including linked documents and duplicated hardware) and it gives you errors saying that the "filename exists" for these parts.  So then you have to go through and Clear the action for those items.  Unfortunately, when you clear the action, it leaves those parts linked to the original directory....so that's not a viable option and is also very tedious for large assemblies.

2.  "Pack and Go" - This method appears to work well for the copy, but one thing we noticed is that if you use Windows Explorer to move a file from one folder to another after doing the Pack and Go, the files try to re-establish their links to the original folder directories (not the recently copied directory).  We have that feature disabled in our Link Management options within Solid Edge, but it appears that Pack and Go files must have marching instructions that supersede the Link Management settings.  In essence, you could move the file with Windows, assume it's still pointing to the copied files when, in reality, you're actually editing the original files.

It appears that the only real workaround for our situation is to use Pack and Go and always/only use Design Manager for moving parts to different folders after the fact.  I wish there were more detailed instructions available for the new Design Manager that helped the user better understand what's happeing behind the scenes for these different tools.

Any input or other pitfalls we should be aware of would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jesse

19 REPLIES

Re: Design Manager vs. Revision Manager Functionality

try turning off the option to Automatically Append the REvision ID

or

Just do a find and replace for the added syntax "-1.par"  for ".par"7-25-2017 11-36-00 AM.png

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

@MattJohnson_PG - Those options only appear to apply to the save functions with Solid Edge, not within the Design Manager environment.  I still get the same "filename exists" error when using "Save As" in Design Manager when I set the "File Naming Rules" to "None".  It still tries to create a copy of every single document in my tree structure rather than recognizing that linked documents and duplicated parts only need to be copied once like Revision Manager used to do.

[ Edited ]

Since its inception in ST9 Design Manager has been a source of headaches. I think it's supposed to work like RevMan but with a slightly different, "friendlier" interface.

But it has problems and I've been in a long IR cycle with GTAC over it for months. We use Insight so that may be causing more problems. I don't know. The file name exists error sounds analogous to what we're experiencing. I will attempt to copy (or "save as") or move by assigning actions to the entire tree including parts AND assemblies. Inevitably I get "file already checked out" errors and a fail. Of course, it doesn't inform you what files are already checked out. But it's bogus anyway. There were no files checked out before hitting perform actions. The only reason it thinks they are checked out is because as it runs down the tree for actions it checks out files, then it comes upon the same file in a different assembly and gives the error. That's my theory anyway. Perhaps it's the same with your file already exists error. So, I have to do the save piecemeal. First the parts, then the assemblies. Or vice versa. It's a huge waste of time.

Rev Man never had these difficulties. Alas, poor Rev Man, I knew him well.

Hopefully, ST10 will....

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Edge_of_My_Seat wrote:

@MattJohnson_PG - Those options only appear to apply to the save functions with Solid Edge, not within the Design Manager environment.  I still get the same "filename exists" error when using "Save As" in Design Manager when I set the "File Naming Rules" to "None".  It still tries to create a copy of every single document in my tree structure rather than recognizing that linked documents and duplicated parts only need to be copied once like Revision Manager used to do.

I don't recall rev man ever being able to distinguish which files "needed" copying. Selecting files and defining the action to copy was just that: a copy action for all selected files. It was always a selection and perhaps deselection process by the user to determine what. So, if I had selected all files I would have to deselect library parts and standard parts if they were present. There was no "intelligence" based on being linked.

I may be misunderstanding what you mean though. If you mean that in the copy process rev man knows that the same file in different places only needs copying once then, yes, that is correct. Des Man seems confused.

Bruce Shand

@bshand - You may be correct.  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Revision Manager installed to replicate what I'm trying to do in Design Manager.  I was almost certain that in Revision Manager I could select an entire model, set the action to "copy" and perform the action without having to de-select any duplicate instances of parts (i.e. linked mirrored documents).

I may have to do a silent install of an old version of Solid Edge to try it out.  I don't ever remember having to de-select components when doing full copies of large models.

We can use the Pack and Go function, but I'm a little concerned that someone might grab a copy of a "Pack and Go" file and put it in their directory without realizing it's going to try to re-establish its links to our original production directory.  The bottom line is that it looks like we just need to make sure we do all file moving using Design Manager to ensure the file paths stay correct.  It's probably a good practice to keep anyway.  Just when I thought Solid Edge was finally learning to play nice with Windows Smiley Happy  

Edge_of_My_Seat wrote:

@bshand - You may be correct.  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Revision Manager installed to replicate what I'm trying to do in Design Manager.  I was almost certain that in Revision Manager I could select an entire model, set the action to "copy" and perform the action without having to de-select any duplicate instances of parts (i.e. linked mirrored documents).

No, you're right, you didn't have to deselect duplicate instances of parts. Meaning parts that have defined actions elsewhere in the rev man tree. You really can't clear action on them anyway or else all instances would be cleared. Rev Man wasn't confused by multiple instances, Des Man apparently is.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

There is some disagreement on this but I avoid using Windows tools like file explorer to copy Edge files except when I know no links are involved or they're not in our Insight database.

Unfortunately, Design Manager is broken compared to Revision Manager.

Bruce Shand

Hello Jesse,

Design Manager "Save As" should behave like Revision Manager "Copy". Can we have an app share to understand your usecase better and see what's going wrong? Please share your email address so that I could send an meeting request.

Regards,

Deepak Kulkarni

Hello,

In a previous post, I noted some inconsistencies with terms like "Save As" vs "Copy" in Design Manager.  The term "Save As" to me means rename a file.  I'm hoping ST10 will solve some of the Design Manager issues.  In ST9, I can't right click on a file and launch Design Manager.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1