Design manager "issue"

[ Edited ]

So, I'm trying to rename several files in a large assembly using the vaunted new Design Manager. Now to be fair, I don't know if Revision Manager had this problem but over several years using it I can't recall running up against this problem like I have been with DM.

Anyway, I hit "perform actions" and I get an error: "A document with this name already exists in Sharepoint. Use a unique document name."

Does it tell me what document(s)? No. Does it tell me anything more than that error? No.

Why not? I don't know. Surely it knows and could present a list. Even just a hint, like in what folder it resides, would be better than absolutely nothing.

What is the solution?

Nothing pretty. Clear all actions and start again but only rename one document at a time until I find the conflict? In other words spend about ten times as long to complete a simple task all for lack of hidden information.

Thanks guys. Please fix.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
16 REPLIES

Re: Design manager "issue"

I wish I had been corrected.
It really takes a lot of time.
Pack and Go will automatically replace it with another name in ST9.
The design manager also hopes to automatically replace duplicate names.
Please correct
And ... the problem is that the thickness of the inner material of the synchronous sheet metal can not be changed.
this ProblemPlease correct

[ Edited ]

Here's another issue I ran into trying to do a simple save as in DM. The new file name is brand new and the path is empty but it kicks back this error:

"The highlighted location is same as current location. Please specify a different location.

There are two problems with this.

1. There is no "highlighted location".

2. The new location is definitely different than the current location.

In general I find a lot of issues with this new Design Manager. It was supposed to be an improvement over Revision Manager but so far, for me, it's a FAIL.

7941770_DM_SaveAs_Error.PNG

Bruce Shand

@bshand - we were thinking of updating from ST7 to ST9, but from the number of bugs and problems reported it really doesn't seem worth it.

Mind you, I'm still finding problems with ST7.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

In my humble opinion I think you are making the right decision. ST9 is one of the worst roll-outs I've ever seen. I'm considering advising to skip new MPs and new releases. e.g. wait for the next one, let others break their teeth on the new stuff.

Bruce Shand

Update: I submitted the first issue as an IR and it is now an ER. Rev Man apparently had the same problem but for some reason I never stumbled upon it.

The second issue was submitted but is not repeatable so far and was apparently a glitch of some kind but is being escalated to PR status anyway.

The third issue, dumping on ST9, is the result of frustration. I've never submitted so many IRs. I stand by warning anyone against it though. Might want to wait.

Bruce Shand

I would skip over ST9  and wait for the roll out of ST10

I used DM just ones and runned into a similar problem, didn't try to reproduce and open an IR cause I have more to work on.

Instead of rollback to ST8 (that's my advise would be to stay on it) I decided to log as many IRs I can and try to make ST9 better.

Remember that if you don't log IRs in ST9 they would still be there in ST10 too.

My first wish ever is to have ST9 fast as much as ST8

@bshand

Just a thought here - it might be that Revision Manager is version independant as I've just opened a part file that is a later version than ST7 and copied it to a new name.

If you can post a small ST9 assembly of a couple of parts I can try it.

Can RM be installed as a stand-alone or can you install an earlier version of SE on a different computer and run RM from there ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber, I wondered the same but I understand that RM has the same issue as DM in that it also doesn't report what file is attempted to be duplicated. Like DM it only tells you that some file is.

Bruce Shand