Detached Rounds Question

This has been bugging me for awhile...  In ordered mode, what is the logic behind Solid Edge forgetting the radius of a round after it gets detached?  If a dynamic edit is chosen, it remembers the radius, but if the edit definition option is chosen, the user has to remember what the radius was prior to the edit to re-attach it.

Not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks,

Matt

5 REPLIES

Re: Detached Rounds Question

I'm assuming the edge has changed in such a way that the round no longer exists on the edge.

I think the reason it doesn't 'remember' may be that you can define multiple radius values in one round operation, so it requires the user to redefine the required radius - unlike other systems that only allow one radius value for each round feature.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

This is a constant radius on an ordered part in ST9.  Yes, the parent edges change and the round is no longer attached.  It's an orphan.  The user has to do a dynamic edit to see what the radius value was, then edit definition to re-attach and re-define the radius size. (This is the only way I know how to do).

On a side note, I never figured out how to have more than one radius value in a round feature.  Creo Parametric allows this too, but remembers the values and shows which "set" has failed.

Thanks,

Matt

I just created a part in ordered and rounded a some of the edges. I then changed the profile so that 2 edges disappeared and the rounding failed. When I then go to 'Edit definition' it shows the radius of the round - no need for dynamic edit, but this is ST7.

Same when I make all edges fail.

In my case I also made 2 different radii and it shows both.

However, it only indicates the radius at one place.

2 get different radii within the same round - set the radius value and select the edges for the first round and click the green tick. Now enter a new value in the radius box and select more edges.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Thanks for the help.  Wonder if what I'm seeing is the result of SE's "last used" philosophy.  My radii does change when reconnecting.  Editing is no problem, just when re-attaching.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi,

Your question is good, If you have any failed rounds "Errors" (Tools -> Assistants) will show it. This is a useful command, but "nobody" use it. You can build a "stronger" model if you use different selection types (face, feature). I can't say, that your model will survive each editing, but it will more stable.

Here is an example:

I hope, this helps!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/