Solved! Go to solution

Detailing a piano hinge that is an adjustable assembly

Hello,

I am using a piano hinge in a door mechanism and it is set as an adjustable assembly so it follows the door.  I need to detail the hinge fully opened.  Any tricks do doing this?  Right now the hinge assembly model is set at a 17° angle and I don't want to break its adjustability.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
7 REPLIES

Re: Detailing a piano hinge that is an adjustable assembly

To display the same part is two positions on the same draft will require two copies of the assembly in different positions. The control is per file, not view.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author kjoiner
‎03-31-2016 08:35 AM

The angle value in the hinge assembly should have no effect on the position when inserted into a higher level, so I would have thought you can make it whatever you want for detailing.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

I'll flatten out the hinge and see if it still follows the door in the assembly.  If it works, I'll be in good shape.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Hello,

It looks like I can have the hinge open in the model file and still have it follow as an adjustable assembly.  What confused me was that I had one hinge leaf rotated at a 17° angle in the hinge assembly and thought the door was causing that.  It turns out I just needed to rotate one hinge leaf back to make both leaves parallel.  Of course, you can't apply a planar align constraint in the hinge model or a bunch of constraints will fail in the main model.  Anyway, it works and I can detail the hinge.  I've got three more similar hinge to do so hopefully they will behave as well.

Kyle 

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

@12GAGE Rather than two copies of the assembly, Alternate Assemblies could be used to create an Alternate Positions assembly. 

Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

I bet it can, but I have never had time for that learning curve. Reusing features and trying out Sync sheet metal are next on my learning curve list. That one is about 20 learning curves down my list.

Hello,

I just finished detailing another hinge and it looks like aligning the hinge leaves in the open position will work and they will stay that way in the hinge model.  Setting the hinge as adjustable in the main assembly allows it to follow the door without affect the hinge model.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1