Die suport from piece

[ Edited ]

We work 90% with solids, coveyors and such.

How can i get the support (pic 2) from the piece (pic 1)?

Solid Edge ST7

7 REPLIES

Re: Die suport from piece

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Cool looking part [is it a vehicle steering wheel bezel?] & A-side mold....and looking at the part, it appears that the B-side will have quite a few loose cores in it....if indeed you're making the tooling.

It's been many years [previous job] since I've had to do any tooling design like this, let alone do it in SE.

I'm not completely clear on what you're looking to create. Can you describe it a bit further?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Exactly, is a steering wheel thing, it's made from plastic. I need to make the base for that part, it should look simmilar to the 2nd picture. Someone said i can work with substract and such but i can't, i can't do anything with the piece. The 2nd picture was made by someone from a different company with solid works as far i know, but he told me that i could also make it in Solid Edge with surfacing and i can't figure it out how to do so.

So a few things. The second picture was NOT made in SolidWorks. You can tell by looking at the surface geometry and the number of patches created. I would bet some serious money this was modeled in Catia. 

Can this be done in Solid Edge? Absolutely -- but just as in Catia, it really needs to be done by someone with a strong background in mold tooling and preferably using a package specifically for Mold Tooling. Solid Edge offers the Solid Edge Mold Tooling product as an add-on, and it is purpose made for this -- things like shut offs, the parting surface you see in pic 2, etc. Without that add-on, there will be even more manual work and its a job for a mold tooling expert, even with the add-on. 

If you haven't done a bunch of mold tooling work in the past, then I would not embark on this as my first project! :-)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

So, what you are saying is that without the addon Solid Edge Mold Tooling there is no chances of doing the mold of the piece? How can i see wich addons does the software features?

No, you can do it without the Mold Tooling Add-On, it will just be a lot more work. The Mold Tooling Add on is expensive (about the same as the cost of Solid Edge itself). If you expect to do a lot of mold tooling work, it would be worth buying. If not, then you can do it with Solid Edge -- just more hours on your part. 

My main point is that creating mold tooling of this complexity is going to be pretty challenging to learn by asking questions on the community if you have not done it before. But we like challenges. Some of us can probably coach you through it, but this is not something you can do in a few hours if you've never done it before. I'd be prepared to put in several days to learn all the principals and then execute them.

A couple questions:

1. Do you have a single solid at this point -- or is it a bunch of surfaces?

2. Have you ever created a mold tool before?

3. Have you done much surfacing before -- Blue Surf, Loft, Surface by Boundary etc?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

1. bunch of surfaces
2. never (we don't have the mold addon)
3. I've tried to play with surfaces but never worked really well

horalipa wrote:
1. bunch of surfaces
2. never (we don't have the mold addon)
3. I've tried to play with surfaces but never worked really well

My $0.02[NZ] below.......

1. First place to start, is to heal this part into a solid model....[I could probably take a look at the original file, to see if I can help you out there....email me directly, sean@streetscape.co.nz]
  2. I've created plenty of injection molds with Solid Edge, and never saw the need for the add-on. As at my previous job, we mostly made composite molds, and CNC milled the master model A-surfaces as the plug, using wax sheet to back-build inform part thickness inside the cast A-surf mold, then casting the B-surface [including loose cores, vents, ejectors, etc] onto that.
  3. This is critical to making the die design work....based on the created "Parting Split" & the resulting "Parting Surface" for the external perimeter. "Bounded" surfaces for internal shut-off areas.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10