Difference between Solid Edge with keyshot and Luxion standalone keyshot

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi All

Keyshot has been a good addition to the latest release of Solid Edge, and we have a few interested folks that ask us about the keyshot rendering feature.

My question - what is the difference (tiny and small stuffs) between SE Keyshot and Keyshot stand alone

As far as I know...

1.) Solid Edge with Keyshot can open .bip extension, where-as the full version can import all CAD format (including obj and dxf) into rendering

Are there any other differences between SE Keyshot and Luxion stand-alone keyshot?

8 REPLIES

Re: Difference between Solid Edge with keyshot and Luxion standalone keyshot

Phenom
Phenom

Yes,

The big difference is being able to do motion videos within the scene.  This is why I maintained my PRO license.

The nice part about KeyShot is that the Pro license can be used by many in the same company. So on my workstation I can "Deactivate" the license, then "Activate it on another system very easily... Therefore 1 Pro license per company might make the upgrade worthwhile... nothing sells better then FULL motion and video.

Bob

I have done A LOT of reseach into this...

There are two main versions of Keyshot

• Keyshot HD
  • Keyshot Pro

The HD is the basic package and its biggest downfall is it has a limit of  4.1 MP of rendering output where as the Pro has unlimited.  The Pro also has a lot of features like being able to edit HDRi's and whatnot for lighting.  Alos, you should be able to do animation in the SOlid Edge version, you just do the animation in SE by adding motors and whatnot, and it translates over to Keyshot

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceozpwZdktw

From the mouth of a sales person at Luxion, the Solid Edge Keyshot is kind of a rare breed because it's the base HD package BUT:

• It has umlimited Rendering output like the PRO version
  • It can do animation

Owner: Scott Lester Drafting & Design
Designer: Rotork Instuments

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Another limitation of the SE version is no direct NURBS rendering option which was a new addition to KS 5. 

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Bob,

What do you like about doing the animation in KeyShot? Our experience is that the SE timeline editor is much more advanced, plus you can solve asm constraints and have motors etc. and then single click transfer this to KS for the frame by frame render.

So what is it you prefer in the KS animation stuff?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Solution Partner Pioneer

Thanks for the reply. There's no official documentation on the differences between these 2 version, so it is really helpful if someone can point it out

Regards

Phenom
Phenom

One of the big lacks in the Solid Edge edition is the absence of "View sets" and "Render queue".

If you need to produce a bunch of images or animation you can't do all the human work first and the machine work after.

Solution Partner Pioneer

I believe those features belong to the pro version of keyshot. The keyshot that Solid Edge bundled with is the HD version with some differences...

Phenom
Phenom

Dan... as expected it's purely for presentations that I find the annimation cool. SE is fine for Mechanical stuff, but when you're looking at it purely for the asthetics having it in a natural "perspective" is very important and therefore nothing beats a KeyShot annimation.

I found it especially helpful with the furniture design. Here's an example of letting the customer see all the "little" details from as many angles as possible.

In this example they wanted to see if the "basket" (seat and backrest) of this chair had enough of  a curve to not look flat yet support the person without squishing them too much. Funny the original PDF and Draft documents weren't convincing enough, but this did the job.

watch:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)