Different holes in single command

I got this wierd concept in my mind. Why can't enhance hole command so that we can makes holes of diffrent sizes and types in a single hole command? 

This will reduce lot of time. Most machined plates require to have screw holes and dowels in relation with each other. Traditional way is to make one type of hole in a command and make the other holes in another hole command taking the referenc of first holes. With different hole option  we can reduce time in additional dimesions or geometrical constraints. 

7 REPLIES

Re: Different holes in single command

Hi there,

I hear what you're saying...but, for one thing, that would increase the number input fields required in the hole options dialogue, exponentially. I think the new hole interface has just the right amount of control going on now.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be referring to a bug that I have noticed in ST7 MP-07. Sometimes I get an M8 tapped hole and a M8 clearence hole in the same hole feature as shown in the attached screen snip?

hyperset wrote:

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be referring to a bug that I have noticed in ST7 MP-07. Sometimes I get an M8 tapped hole and a M8 clearence hole in the same hole feature as shown in the attached screen snip?

Oh yes, that was brought up in this one....and was fixed in MP8. [according to the Read Me]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

SeanCresswell wrote:

Hi there,

I hear what you're saying...but, for one thing, that would increase the number input fields required in the hole options dialogue, exponentially. I think the new hole interface has just the right amount of control going on now.

Apart from too many mouse clicks to get to the important bit of adding the hole size (ordered) Smiley Wink

Hi,

see it from the point of menufacturing and assembling.

A group of holes has identical holes in it, since there will be inserted the same objects or there are the same steps needed for producing.

What I like here especially in sync is, that a group of holes must not necessarily lie on the same plane.

They can be on different planes all over the entire part.

And as mentioned before, I think it would be more steps and clicks if within one and the same group of holes different parameters wpuld be possible.

There is one enhancement I would like to see, that holes can have punching forms (that means, not circle form but also hex, etc.) too!

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

This sounds like an interface/communication can of worms. Assume someone else has to edit the part. How would one know which hole has which parameters?

I think of modeling as for the most part a simulation of machining or process steps. Of course, a tapped hole for example is really at least two steps but mixing a bunch of different size and form steps together would be a nightmare IMO.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I almost always do holes based on a sketch in ordered. You can put a pattern right in the sketch and then locate the master hole on the sketch pattern. The way I look at it the the pattern comes before the hole. Change the pattern and the holes move with it.

Another way you could do this is to make the whole pattern with tapped holes and then use a few of the tapped holes to locate the pin holes. It helps if the pins are bigger than the screws so they consume the entire holes. Holes do need additional custom fields that could be extracted in callouts. Actually all features need this so you could associate a special cutout with punch information.
Using SE since V12, 2002