Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different versions of part in one assembly

Creator
Creator

Hello!

I'd like to ask for little help.

There is a part in an assembly named "A". I need the "A" part with a hole feature on it and without it and I'd like to use both in different draft without creating new part. I created two versions of that part with family of parts function but when I want to paste it on the paper there is no question of which version do I want to use. How can I select it?

How else would you do the whole thing?

Thank you for your help.

8 REPLIES

Re: Different versions of part in one assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

With regards to Family of Parts you never use the Master file in anything, you always specify a member in Assembly or Draft.  Members must be Populated after you specify them to be able to be used.  So in your example you will have 3 Part files...  Master file, Member "A" file, Member "B" file

In Assembly when replacing a part that is a FOP Member, it will provide a dialog to pick a different member.

In Draft, you will select Member "A" and place a view for you first drawing.  For your other drawing you would repeat the process except you would select Member "B".

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

HI @Reseter

one single additional note to that what @KennyG already mentioned, is, don't forget to "Populate" the FOP.

I'm not sure wether or not You can put family members on paper if there is no populated part of it.

Nevertheless You need this anyway for use in assembly too.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator
Is there solution without using family of parts/assemblies?
I mean I create an assembly feature (hole) and save it as a PMI cfg one with the hole in it and another one without it. This would be the most convenient method for me.

Biggest issue for me if I use the family method the part realationships will be gone.

Thanks

HI @Reseter

and whats about doing it as You called it: "Revision of the same part"

If You revise the part and You have version A and version B

So You will have real different part versions out of the same base

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

That would mean a new file I suppose and this is what I'd like to avoid because up to now I simply paste the same part second time and it doesn't have the assembly hole on it. The problem with it is if you have large assembly with lot of parts the tree will be more bigger because of the "doublicated" parts.

regards

Reseter

Hi @Reseter

the answer You have given is not understandable by me.

Even if You use FOP You will have different files.

Even if You place the same part several times witihn Your assembly You will have several lines in the pathfinder.

So where is the difference and where is the advantage?

If You have different geometry and a different procedere with a part, please believe, the best is You use a different name, number or at least revision

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

It sounds like you are wanting to do it like Solidworks with configurations where a single part can have any number of different states. SolidEdge cannot do this, every state is a seperate part or assembly via the FoP and FoA systems.

This method of handling this process is imo the one thing SE really needs to think about and work into their system.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

In general, every unique part will need a unique file. Family of parts can be used but is just another complex and unreliable method of creating a part that's almost the same as another.

I have found it's much faster just to bite the bullet, copy the part, rename it, and edit it for any changes from another part, no matter how simple.