Difficult sheet metal corners

Attached is a photo of a sheet metal corner I have found imposible to model.

Any have Idea? The problem is the "notch" is not outside or even inside the bend, it's past the bends.

18 REPLIES

Re: Difficult sheet metal corners

This part contains the two methods we use and has worked well since implemented years ago. The option(s) used are open/closed corners while using the contour flange command. There is another option for circular cutouts as well.

HTH,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

Yes, I do this like Ryan shows also.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@RGudorf Great to see you back in here, sharing that DEEP sheet metal knowledge you possess. I thought you guys headed off to NX land some years ago. Are you still using SE somehow? Or are you just helping others out?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Thanks Dan, good to hear from you to. Currently I was just trying to help a fellow Tin Knocker out.

AFA NX...all I can say is UGH! We are currently still on Solid Edge V20 and waiting for a Windows patch to hose it any day now. I've been trying to migrate over to NX going on six years now if memory serves. NX had some issues we needed addressed so I have been testing for them for a while now and most of the bugs from porting have been fixed.

But I still am waiting for the ownership that pushed all this change here to give me the time/money/training to complete. It was sort of easier the first time migrating from 2D to 3D and taking baby steps along the way, compared to an entire switch from an established system to another and all the changes that have to be made. Let alone the tens of thousands of files I want to convert.

I even proposed upgrading to a newer version of Edge/Insight a couple of months ago, but that was shot down.

I hope all is well with you guys down there and I wish I was coming to the event In Cincinnati since it's right in my backyard. Maybe if Sean would offer to buy me a beer one night?? :-)

Best Regards,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

[ Edited ]

I understand that specific solution, It does not work in my current situation.

I can't use a contoured flange because I have an existing flat I must start with. I have a flat pattern that has been sent out of house for laser cutting for a few years. My task is to set up a file that results in an identical flat (+-0.0001") that can then be seized based off of the folded model.

In general, I have to use +bend commands to get from flat to folded. 2 and 3 way corners can be used.

The contour flange version is interesting. I just see a few problems with that approach in my current situation.

12GAGE,

I have followed you're posts for quite a while now and I think I understand what you are doing, but for the life of me can't figure out why you would handcuff yourself this way. I have been using this program for going on almost 20 years and I can probably count on one hand the times I've used the add-bend command. 

There is so much power in Solid Edge for sheet metal design, why would you not design the easy way and send out your flats for laser cutting, etc. after the fact? It was hard at first for me since it was always hand layout/create the flat pattern first, then form it, but Edge opened up a whole lot of doors to the world of easier creation of formed models, and flat patterns that we hardly even think about anymore. Not to mention making assemblies that fit the first time.

As long as you design for manufacture, use whatever calculation process your shop uses, and input the correct variables, you can get extremely accurate flat patterns out of Edge. That was my bosses big thing 20 years ago. If it didn't calculate the flat pattern to the same results this 90+ year old company did by hand, we weren't buying it. Luckily someone there (Greg Chasteen-thank you!) wrote us a .dll using our flat pattern calculation formula and the rest is history. 

Now if the guys on the shop floor don't use the tooling we designed around/specify on the print, then the flat won't be accurate. But we generally know when we need to go ask them what they would use and we don't scrap parts (unless I screw up something else). NOT to say you can't, because I've know lots of Edge customers over the years that don't use our methods and they scrapped 15-25% of their product becuase they don't design around what the shop can produce.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

And just to be clear, we did used to work this way.

Flat to Folded. With Edge we added another process by designing the part formed, instead of hand calculating a flat all the time. And it works way better and more accuratly than it ever did before.

Now it's Formed Model-Flat Pattern-Formed Part 

With a little drafting, laser cutting/punching in between.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1

[ Edited ]

RGudorf wrote:

Maybe if Sean would offer to buy me a beer one night?? :-)

Hi Ryan,

Ummmm, I've thought on this long & hard, and it took longer to write this response than to actually answer....."DEAL!"

I owe you a beer, at the very least...for your amazing help with my SE-to-NX6 file conversion. [by now, thousands of plastic parts have been moulded of those. Robot Happy]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@RGudorf I will personally buy you a beer as well if you come to SEU. If you agree to present (you could soooo easily do a session on all your tin banging experience!) not only will you get in free, but I will buy you TWO beers. I mean it!

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development