Digital Napkin

[ Edited ]

I know this is bad manners to post a one liner with a link to another website-- but I wrote a blog posting about Catchbook on my LinkedIn account.  This article is based on my opinions and experiences using the software. I am posting here because, simply, there are more readers and Catchbook and SE pair up well together.

8 REPLIES

Re: Digital Napkin

I have to say my experience with Catchbook was pretty frustrating. The tutorials are videos of people using the software while silly music plays in the background. The universal learning tool approach isn't working for me. I want to know the reasoning why the UI is designed the way it so so I can leverage that to learn faster.
Using SE since V12, 2002

I gave Catchbook a try recently and posted some comments on the forum.  My biggest gripe is the unpredictable nature of the trying to control dimensions.  Dimensions are not lockable like they are in SE and this makes "sketching" up an idea then refining it impossible.   I'm not sure how someone is supposed to do some of the tasks shown in the videos if you can't control the dimensions.  The response I got was that Catchbook was to draw up the initial idea and then import it onto a CAD system.  Well, the market for this product probably does not have a CAD system.  Also, I've got SE running on my Surface so why would I need the extra steps?   Catchbook is a neat idea, but someone needs to try it out using real world problems before releasing it.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Kyle-

I feel you pain on the dimensional updates. THere are some hidden tips inside of Catchbook that I noticed was mentioned in "The Last John Baker Show" for NX. Here he showed how adding the first dimension can scale the rest of the geometry and the ability to scale all the sketch geometry.

I did have some discussions with some Siemens PLM people during beta about the inability to control dimensionality and updates. Here I have to totaly agree. From there standpoint it would require another additional solvers to get the sketches to update. I was asking for the ability to assign a zero point or entity control point locking.

I also realize this just Version 1 of the software. I am hoping that some of the user request from beta will make it into future releases.

I to am running on Catchbook on the SP3 along with SE. They make a great combination in my opinion.

I'm concerned you aren't watching the help tuturials in the software. Have you viewed them?

Find them by select the *** and then the iformation icon "i".

Help videos all about 30 secondsHelp videos all about 30 seconds

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the response.   I think adding locking dimensions is really important to make Catchbook function like it should.  I'm not quite sure about the scaling though.  My issue with the dimensions, is that once I place a dimension, it should keep the same value unless I change it.  I was experimenting with Catchbook to see if it would be a solution for our project managers who have to go to hospitals and draw up rooms for potential locations for our equipment.  If you rough out the size of the room, then need to refine one dimension, the others start changing as well and you end up running in circles trying to get the size correct.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Yes, I agree.

Take a look at the Solid Edge Free 2D for guys. I'm using that for an estimating project I'm working on.

I'm curious if SE Free 2D would work on something like a Surface (not the Pro model). My concern for you would be that there are no architectual units- at least not that I can find!

Technically you could use Catchbook to start and import the dxf into Free 2D. Your overall solution is still only $6!

Here's a snipit of a conversation I had with one of the key staff running Catchbook.

"...Through the feedback we’re getting from beta, we’re learning that locking dimensions is probably going to be an important step on our journey!"

WIth that I truly hope there is an update that allows you to fix geometry in place and to lock dimensions.

I just notice something while viewing an SE/Teamcenter video; the icons for Active Workspace!
DO these look familiar? They should. I think that might answer part of your question on UI design.

Catchbook UI.PNG