Dimension Rebind failure in draft

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm having a hard time trying to resolve my issue. Hope I'll find some answers here.
The workflow is simple:
1. Add any feature to part. Let's say it is cutout.
2. Create draft document for the part.
3. In draft document add dimension for the cutout feature.
4. Go to part document and suppress the cutout feature.
5. Return to draft document and update it. The cutout feature has dissappeared from the draft and the dimension has lost it's referenced object and became green, i.e. "dead".
6. Go to part and unsuppress the cutout feature.
7. Return to draft document and update it. The cutout has reappeared, but the dimension is still "dead".
I know how to rebind the dimension back to its reference objects manually, but I've spent a plenty of hours trying to find a way to do it programmatically. 
Have anybody dealed with such issue already?Any advises/ideas?

Someone please give a solution for this.

Old thread nobody replied.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/Dimensions-rebinding/m-p/1...

Thank you.

2 REPLIES

Re: Dimension Rebind failure in draft

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

It seems that if the dimension is already detached then a rebind is not attempted.

Seems like it could though.

As a user all you can do is re-attach the dimension or re-open the drawing.

Seems like it could be an enhancement request. Call your reseller.

if this is an automation project then I would allways start with the same baseline drawing and model.

Use sketches in the model if needed to create robust drawing dimensions that can survive  many changes.

Place all the required dimensions on a named layer and log if any of those dimension detach.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Re: Dimension Rebind failure in draft

Phenom
Phenom

The most common reason dimensions detatch in draft is because the part became larger. When the part became larger, the view in draft no longer contains the geometry the dimension was attached to.

There are two solutions.

1. Make the draft views large enough to contain any possible growth of drafted parts.

2. Edit the draft views before you allow the draft to update.

On the good side, this tends not to be a problem with flat pattern views, just typical part and assembly views.