Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Scaling

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Guys.

I have a 2D draft created using a 3D model.

Is there a way to autoscale the dimension text with the scale of the draft?

10 REPLIES

Re: Dimension Scaling

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Pretty sure the answer is no. Text on a draft is a fixed value unlike PMI text in a model.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

You do not scale the Draft's "Working Sheets" when using 3D models to create Drawing Views.  You scale the Drawing Views when placed and the dimension text remains whatever the size your Style is set to...

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

HI KennyG.

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is, sometimes in my drawing view, depending on the scale my text is too large or too small.

I was hoping there was a way to keep everything in perspective.

I have tried using PMI dimensions on my model.  The only issue I have there is that you need to remember what plane they are on when placing your view.

@DazzieCan you upload a zipped sample of a part and draft that you have an issue with or maybe a video?  As I said, Dimension text size is based on the selected Style you are using when placing the Dimension.  You can change the font size by editing that Style which will affect all dimensions already placed as well as future dimensions in that file.  The Style ultimately should be set in your template so all future drawings have the correct dimension setup based on the Style settings.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Hi @Dazzie

but You are not talking about a 2D draft?

Or is it draw in view You are asking for?

As mentioned already by @KennyG the text size for every dimension on a draft is defined in absoluteley paper size values independent of any view scale.

Only when YOu are working in model space etc. then a "scale" comes into effect.

Is it this?

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Because I am creating a draft from a 3D model, then I think it is a view I am talking about.

So, to be able to scale my text with my view I would have to dimension using PMI.  Am I correct?

Hi @Dazzie

no this  has nothing to do with PMI or 3D dimensions or 2D dimensions created manually witihn the draft.

The question is: "Where are You creating those dimensions?"

On paper or in view.

And therefore it would be great to have an example from You to look into.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Dimensions and text go on the sheet, not inside the view.

However, if you put them inside the view (using 'Draw in View' you can get them to scale by right clicking on the view then Properties > General tab > Scale Dimensions and Annotations.

I'm not sure what the results will be as I never use this option, although it appears that the text will be scaled by the view scale. So, if your view is 1:10 and your text size is 5mm in the view, it will apear as 0.5mm text on the sheet.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

HI @beachcomber

but normally You are not creating any dimension within a 3D view when using "Draw in View".

Opposite will be true, I try to move them all onto the Auto-Hide Layer for guarantee do not see them in draft view.

regards
Wolfgang