Dimension Value Edit Handle

Creator
Creator

Hi All,

I'm very new to Solid Edge and am working throught the 'User Interface Basics' .pdf

I've got to Chapter 4. Selection handles.

I've drawn the shape roughly as shown, now i need to edit the sizes.

Can someone please explain how i get the edit handle B to show so that i can edit the size of the component?

Thank you,

Rob

11 REPLIES

Re: Dimension Value Edit Handle

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Rob,

Since You are working in order...., you need go back to history how the shape been made by select the sketch and select dynamic edit. the dimension will appear as long as the dimension are available on your sketch.

Since your model is not dimensioned... so first please go back to your sketch by edit profile and attach dimension from there.

Wish it Help

Creator
Creator

Thank you,

I got that.

When i click on the dynamic edit button as shown in your .png file, the only dimension that comes up for editing is the height.

Is this because i'm drawing in the wrong plane?

I need to edit all the dimensions.

Regards,

Rob

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Rob,

you are not drawing in the wrong plane.  You can only use dynamic edit on the dimensions you have entered in the sketch itself.  The original rectangle had no dimensions added so there's nothing to edit. The chamfers each have a dimension (15mm) and these can be edited. If you go back and add dimensions during the sketch phase you can still add dimensions which you can then edit at any time in future.

Hope that makes sense.

Frank

ps using Synchronous mode you could edit any of this anyway.

Edinburgh University

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Rob,

As explained further by Frank.

I have found another issue in your sketch design. i have found that your sketch is not connected or not related. seems that maintain relationship were off when you draw the sketch.

for any further sketch creation, you can activate maintain relationship. as marked on red box.

Relate.png

Creator
Creator

Got it!

I redrew the shape in sketch mode, with 'Maintain Relationships' on.

Then added dimensions before closing sketch mode.

I can now edit the dimesions as required.

Thank you,

Creator
Creator

Hi Frank,

How do i turn on Synchronous mode?

Regards,

Rob

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Rob,

Synchronous is a completely different modelling style so I'd think twice about it just now.  You'll find the modelling community split on whether ordered (sometimes called history) mode or synchronous mode is best but you'll probably be safer learning one at a time.

You can switch to synchronous by right clicking on the 'Ordered' line in the Pathfinder tree and selecting 'Transition to Synchronous'. This will not transfer existing geometry but will allow you to play with the new mode.  

You can transfer existing geometry to Synchronous if you want but you can't subsequently transfer it backwards hence the words of caution.

You can also set Synchronopus to the default mode in 'Options'.

There are benefits in both but the most important ones to me are that Ordered is bettr with complex surfaces and Rounds but Synchronous can be much quicker, makes nice edits and allows you to edit models made with any CAD system (often more quickly than using the other system itself!).

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much.  If you like I could make a very short video top explain this a little more clearly.  

Frank

ps Solid Edge and NX are really the only CAD systems to offer true Synchronous modelling (IMO).

Edinburgh University

Creator
Creator

Hi Frank,

I will take one step at a time.

I'll play with 'Synchronous Mode' a little later on.

For now, i'm happy to continue as i am with the recommended course.

Thank you,

Rob

Creator
Creator

Actually Frank,

Reading your comment about making a video, this is something that would be very useful for later on. And also useful for other's, so if you could that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob