Dimension a 3D Sketch in Part file inside an assembly

Hi All,

First time posting on the Forum. I am a relatively new comer to Solid Edge having spent the last seven years on Solid Works. So things are a little frustrating at the moment learning the different way things are done in Solid Edge. Down to my problem. I have a part in which I have a 3D Sketch. This part is inside an assembly and is fully constrained by its planes to the assembly planes. When using edit in place I can attach 3D lines to key points of other parts in the assembly with Peers turned on, but I cannot seem to create any dimensions from lines or points from other parts to the 3D sketch in order to position lines in the proper place.

Yet if I create a 3D sketch in the assembly I can dimension off parts in the assembly. Unfortunately Project to Sketch does not allow me to transfer that 3D Sketch into the Part file.

I hope that I have explained my self sufficiently.

The reason I am doing this is to show pipe layout in a building. (I have Foundation which does not have pipe routing) so I am using 3D sketches instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES

Re: Dimension a 3D Sketch in Part file inside an assembly

Hi,

Sorry my friend but this is not clear for me, but I try to help you.

I think the "key thing" will be the Lock dimension plane. In this case you can select any plane of parts if you push down "Shift". Look at my video and when you see orange color then I'm using Lock plane + Shift at placing dimension.

+ hunt: Parts sould be active and Peer locate should be on!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Thank you Phenom for the reply. The video helped a lot, as my computer can do none of what was on your video. As soon as I select any of the measurement icons I can no longer pick any edges from other parts in the assembly. All parts are active in the assembly.

Is there a magic setting hidden deep in the bowels of the software somewhere to turn this ability on?

I greatly appreciate the help. Oh I am Running ST8 if that makes any difference.

Hi,

maybe You were missing one step from the video, but one important step.

The activation of all parts.

Since when You have inactive parts, their vertices and edges can't be selected.

regards 

Wolfgang 

regards
Wolfgang

The assembly opens with parts activated. Just in case they were not i activated the part I wanted to measure from, then inplace opened the 3D sketch and it made no difference, I still cannot dimension off the part to the 3D sketch.

It is either a ST8 issue, the computer I am using or maybe the dope on the end of the mouse 8-)

I greatly apprciate your help with this, it is very frustrating.

Neil.,,

Hi there,

Make sure to activate click the "Peers" button [glow = on] in the Edge Locate group, from the Tools tab,....while in edit sketch mode.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi,

It should work well. Smiley Wink

If not, could you record a short video about your workflow?

BR,

Imics

I have put this little video of my issue together. I hope that shows something simple that I can do to fix the problem.

Thanks,

Neil...

Hi,

Could you show me what kind of inter-part options are used by you?

Open an assy and SE App button -> Solid Edge Options -> Inter-part tab...

BR,

Imics

Hi Phenom,

Here is a screen capture of my settings. They are all ticked.