Dimension to a non-keypoint?

Ho do I place the dimension shown in red below (horizontal distance)?  Note that point on the diagonal line at the right is not a keypoiint.  So SE doesn't want to select it.  It wants to select the nearest keypoint instead.  I'm sure there's a way to do this, but it's not jumping out at me.  Thanks!  

Pat

2016-04-18_1111.png

5 REPLIES

Re: Dimension to a non-keypoint?

Hello

Maybe you can draw in view, and inside the sketch environment insert 2 'virtual' points (horizontal aligned) in the desired ramdom position, and then can be able to pick to dimension them in the normal draft view.

---------------------------------
Hilario, Flavio
Industrial Designer
ST8 / Win7 / Win8

[ Edited ]

Make sure "Intersection point" is checked in Intellisketch relationships.

It occurs to me now I misunderstood. Do you want to grab a point on the line that is horizontal to the intersection on the right? Then you have to add a point or horizontal line as @F_Hilario suggests. Not sure what mode you're in: part sketch, draft view, etc.?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies.  

I'm in the draft environment.  I want to dimension the horizontal distance between the point on the left and the diagonal line on the right. I tried adding a point to the diagonal line (as F_Hilario suggested) but was unable to apply a horizonal constriaint to it.  The tool would not select the point.  I also tried drawing a line  between the points, but when I dimensioned that it gave me the wrong value.  It didn't account for the drawing scale.

I did find one way that worked.  I used the centerline tool to drawing a horizonal between the points.  The only glitch with that approach is I had to draw the line past the diagonal line.  It would not connect to the line at the horizontal point, but instead would only connect at a key point.  Going past allowed me to keep the line horizontal, and then when dimensioning I was able to snap to the intersection.  So that worked, but seems like there should be a more direct way.

Thanks again for the help.

[ Edited ]

First, you need to do it in draw-in-view mode so that scale is taken care of.

Secondly, you should be able to add a horizontal constraint to a point from another point or keypoint location so have a look at your intellisketch settings. Edit: make sure "edit point" and "end point" are checked.

So the point would have two constraints: one to make it on the line and another to make it horizontal from a keypoint.

I wouldn't use a centerline. I would perhaps use a line on the autohide layer (put it on autohide after adding dim) or a new layer to hide later or font it somehow if you need it shown as a visual indicator.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Perfect. I am able to follow your steps Bruce. Great learning !