Dimension units in BOM

[ Edited ]

It would be nice if you could change the units display in a BOM globally from the draft. 

Our shop wants dimensions in ft-in fractions rather than decimal inches.

For example, 250.688 in should be 20' 10 11/16".

The only way I know to do this is to go into each part and change units.

Does anyone know of a better way? 

Perhaps a program to automate the process? (Tushar Smiley Happy)

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
5 REPLIES

Re: Dimension units in BOM

[ Edited ]

You can have them formatted that way in the BOM but you have to change the unit settings in each part. So, my question is really about why can't you format the BOM independently of part unit settings OR is there an automated way of changing unit settings on many parts.

Your link is really about a different subject.

Bruce Shand

Writing a quick macro was on top of my mind @bshand  but I was waiting to see if there is a manual way already. I will post it soon since it has to come with a well-written tutorial too which can take some time.

~Tushar

Thanks Tushar, but don't go out of your way for my sake. It turns out this should be, hopefully, a one time need. It's just that it involves changing units individually on over 100 parts. So faced with this task an automated method came to mind as desirable. In my case I need to change the value and precision fields in the length units. I'm sure it would be a useful macro in general but I'll be done with my task today I think. It also occurs strange to me that you can't format columns in a BOM independently of part settings. That would be an ER I suppose.

Bruce

Bruce Shand

Not an issue at all Bruce. I like making small useful macros.

Hopefully this macro finds you before making the changes manually.

Please see this new thread for the macro.

~Tushar Suradkar

Solid Edge Users Facebook Group