Dimensioning Rounded Radii

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am trying to dimension a bean shaped part that has two different radii. One is set from the center point, while the other is set .225 inches away from the center point. My problem is that the bean shape is extruded, drafted at 5 degrees, and rounded at a radius of 0.016. When the rounded radii are suppressed, the bean radii are correct and snap to the correct points, but when the bean is rounded the bean radii are off by 0.001. Is there a way to get the true radii values while the bean is rounded?

The values of R. 0.237 and R. 364 are the correct values I am trying to achieve.

6 REPLIES

Re: Dimensioning Rounded Radii

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I don't support you can upload the part file without violating and intellectual property or export rules?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The edge that you have without the round is not there when rounded as there is no "Edge" geometry there to dimension to.  Because of the draft, when the round is applied the edge moves slightly down the drafted face therefore the dimension you see when it is rounded is the correct radius.

2016-06-27_15-01-07.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there a way to pick up that virtual edge in a drawing or is the the only solution to leave the rounding off?

Builder
Builder

In your draft, you're likely dimensioning to tangent edges instead of the actual radii.  A tedius solution would be to project an outline sketch onto a plane above the feature before adding the corner radii and drafts.  You can then show and dimension to the sketch on your drawing.  A section view might be a bit easier.

It would sure be nice if Seimens could develop a view option to overcome this.  The software can calculate a tangency, why not a theo. sharp corner.

Good luck.

Matt

Phenom
Phenom

I would create a section and dimension to the intersection as shown in Ken's sketch.

It would be much clearer that way.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Other option would be to create a Simplified part rep with rounding removed.  You can then place a view of the Simplified version in your Draft as well.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10