Dimensioning bolts and thread holes

I was trying to dimension a M1.6 hole and the bolt that goes inside it. I have try to put the code to recognize the hole in the prefix in the definitions but them it shows something like: M1.6 1,6. How can I remove the second number?

9 REPLIES

Re: Dimensioning bolts and thread holes

Are you using the dimension command or call-out command? It sounds like you have the thread callout (M1.6) followed by a diameter of 1,6. Based on that assumption. I would bet you are using the dimension command. Also, you mentioned prefix. 

That said, if you simply want the thread size, use callout and insert %TS or select the thread size icon which will insert the same thing.

In your case you could technically set the Dimension Type to blank so it would only display the prefix, but I don't think that would be a wise thing to do when you can simply use the callout command to achieve what you want.

The M1.6 thread designation is pulled in from the holes.txt file. If you open this file you will see multiple columns explained at the top of the page. The fourth column determines the designation that appears in the thread callout mentioned above. The holes.txt file resides in the preferences folder (C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Preferences) in ST6 and in the Program folder (C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Program) in previous versions. 

I always set my "Internal Minor Diameter" column to be the tap drill size because we typically specify the tap drill and the thread size so there is no room for error on the part of the shop making the part.

HTH,

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Hi, thank you for your help, but I still have some questions.

I forgot to specify, I did it with smart dimension and them added a prefix with code %TS.

The questions I still have are the folowing:

- First, where can I find the callout comand.

- Second, how can I set the dimension type to blank.

Sorry, I am new at Solid Edge, so I still don't know all the basic things.

joaocpc

Not a problem as we all have to learn it at some point. Be aware, however, that most all of this is available to you in SE Help. Just search the database.

Callout: In Draft, Annotation Tab, top left icon - When you open it and go to the general tab you will see all of the same icons for holes and threads that you saw on smart dimenision prefix tab. So you can type anything in there you want for a callout, use the icons to extract model infomration, or a combination of both. This is a very powerful command.

Dimension to Blank: Click on a dimension and the ribbon bar will open for modification to the dimension. This is the same place where you would have gotten the prefix option. Half way across the top row there is an "X". Click on it and the last item in the list will be blank. This effectively turns off the dimension portion and displays only the prefix, suffix, etc.

Best option is to use callout. Better not to change the dimension to blank. Changing to blank might cause you or the person after you issues later since it will be harder to tell what you have done.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry

I have tryed both ways and it worked. I got just one more question. When I use the callout comand. It puts an arrow pointing from the dimention to the hole like this:

|  |

|_|

|_| <----- M1.6

|  |

|  |

Can I change it so that it shows the dimention like this:

M1.6

|____|   

|       |

_____|____|______

_____|____|______

Hi there,

Further to Bob's info....try using the "Command Finder" at the bottom right of the screen. It will literally show you where the command is located when you mouse over the matches listed.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Yes, just click the leader line button, and position as desired....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDacLHg1ah4

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I am not aware of a way that you can use the callout command to produce the dimension in the way you want it. It sounds like you need to use the smart dimension or distance between dimension for this and then blank the dimension.

Perhaps someone else knows how to do this. According to the drawing standards we use, I would never dimension a tapped hole that way.

Bob

Bob Henry

Ok, it's just because I am doing a project for university and my teacher usually uses the other method and I don't know if he acepts it this way. I will do it without the callout and ask him later.

Thank you for your patience

Best Regards

joaocpc

No problem. Glad I could help.

Good luck on your project!

Bob

Bob Henry