Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with sheet metal

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

About four years ago (ST6) I evaluated SE vs SW for sheet metal. SE was better.

Now I am being forced to switch back to SW. In that time, SW has become much more capable of sheet metal than SE.

Over that time I turned in about 50 enhancement request taking lot's of time and effort.

Also, the bugs of SE have never gone away. I still have flipping sketches, sheet metal flipping normals, and model falling apart because of the flips. very unstable.

I am disappointed that SE did not stay ahead of the curve and enhance sheet metal while I was using it. Here are a few simple things that SW does better:

1. Flanges can be designed from the bend line

2. Close corners have many more configurations, and can be mixed and matched with 3 way corner details.

3. Sheet metal model normals don't flip on you.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Disappointed with sheet metal

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGEI'm confused by #1 (Bend can be designed from the bend line).  What do you mean by that?  I'm thinking you can do that in SE by creating a bend on any flat sheet metal feature with the Bend command ...

And I agree with you about the fact that there is quite a few things that seem to have fallen behind due to focus in other areas.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Design from the bend line. I reworded it for better clarity.

I have re-sizable models that are designed in the bent shape, not the flat.

I also have a requirement that when posible, the flange stick out is 1" in the flat.

To accomidate that mixture, I have to use the following formula for flange height.

=1+ BendRadius + MaterialThickness -(PI()*( BendRadius +( MaterialThickness * NeutralFactor ))/4)

I worked out the formula myself, you will not find it in any referance materail directly.

That flange height results in a flange that has a 1" stick out in the fabrication machine. (or the distance from the bend line to the edge of sheet, no matter what thickness or bend radius or K factor is used)

In solid works, its one of the 5 choices for flange design. In solid edge that version of flange design is missing.

I did request this from GTAC, and I know they are working on a solution. But SW is beating SE to the punch, and that is all that matters when doing CAD work. What tools do I have available today to work with.

I attached my most recent draft file created today. Take a look at the last page, 1" stick out makes the part easier to fabricate.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes, not an auto dimension option when creating the flange... You have to edit the profile (Ordered) and reattach the bend side of the leg dim to the bend line to get it.  Could easily be a command bar option.  The bend line doesn't appear to be an option in Synch.  Since the bends are a feature in Synch, they could have a persistent bend line that could be shown as an axis element.  Lots of possibilities... Just need the focus.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@12GAGEhey real fast, how do you callout your sheet metal to get it to display in the title block? Does Works have the ability to have the gage linked so it will show in the BOM and title block, or do you have to key in that information to a properties field like description?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Yes, The gage or Shape automatically appears in the material column. Every single item of the parts list is automated.

material: %{Gage|G}%{SHAPE/CP|G}

cut 1: %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeX/@3N/CP/NU|G}%{Cut Length|G}%{L/@3/NU/CP|G}%RT

cut 2: %{Flat_Pattern_Model_CutSizeY/@3N/CP/NU|G}

Note: L is the cut length of anything that needs a single cut. I can expose the extrusion distance as L or add PMI of L to display a single cut 1 distance. Cut length works for frame members.

So a number can appear in the Cut 1 column from either Cut-X of sheet metal, or L, or Frame length. Depends on what kind of part it is.

Gears Phenom

@12GAGE  I'm confused as to how you are having the flipping issues you mentioned. I've never had this happen, sketches flipping as you say. I used to have an issue similar to that in inventor, related to the need to project edges to dimension to them, then when the model changed it always broke that sketch, had to redefine origin. But no idea what your sketch issues or flipping is about, it could be something about the way you go about it however as this doesn't happen to me. And I have fully resizable and reusable assemblies/weldments, like the hopper assembly I'll post below. Whole thing I can control from the top level, everything resizes perferctly, i change locations of the seams and every piece updates without issue, drawings stay intact, including any modificatoins to the flat pattern which I've set up.

I also guess I'm not sure what you're meaning by 'stick-out'. You mean what is left sticking out the front of the press brake when you make a bend? Kinda seems strange to me to only want 1" sticking out the front of the press brake when it could just be flipped around and set the backstops at where you need for a 1" flange and that way the fingers stay on the hand easier and you don't have to have anyone around the back of the press brake to lift the part while it's bent, just the brake operator at the front has to. This is why I guess I don't know what you mean by stick out.

(view in My Videos)

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom

You running SW 2017?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Phenom
We do the exact same thing with Edge, you realize this, right? Although I use LL for cut length, and actually I have all those things combined into the same field so it shows LxW on sheet metal and shape steel will show up simply L if it's not, all the same column in the BOM and same field in title block. I'm kind of amazed at how similar those formulas are in Works as they are in Edge.
Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

All of my work is currently done in SE. That drawing was created in SE. But now I have to create everything is SW.