Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrete GPU mode on HP Zbook 15u G3

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I have Zbook 15u G3 as my tool for Solid Edge. It has integrated Intel HD 520 GPU and discrete AMD Firepro W4190M GPU.

I have a bit poor performance and I'm fairly sure that it is because the computer is not using 100% Firepro GPU when modeling.

Problem is, I'm not able to disable the integrated GPU. In BIOS, only options are to use Hybrid graphics or UMA-mode which is integrated only. My BIOS version is N75 Ver. 01.38.

In this video https://youtu.be/HE6WA2l-14w?t=208 the trick in case is done on HP laptop but with Nvidia card. I don't have that force to run discrete only mode -option.

Is anyone using similar setup and facing problems? I read some SW users experiencing this.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Discrete GPU mode on HP Zbook G3

Phenom
Phenom

Did you try this setting?

image.png

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Creator
Creator
Yes, I've tried all of those and the one showing on screenshot is best option

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@jylik I do not believe the BIOS settings differ depending on the installed GPU.  Below are the intructions for the G3 directly from HP's support site:

Disable Hybrid Graphics in BIOS (G3)

If you have a G3 model, use the following steps to disable Hybrid Graphics in the BIOS:
  1. Press the power button to turn off the workstation.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on the workstation, and then repeatedly press the esc key to enter the Startup Menu.
  3. From the Startup Menu, press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup utility.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Select Built-In Device Options.
  6. Select Graphics, and then select Discrete Graphics.
  7. Click Save, and, when prompted, click Save changes and exit BIOS.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@jylik  Also assuming you have installed the latest AMD driver for your GPU also?

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@jylik  your model laptop has a Thunderbolt docking station.

Be aware that the Thunderbolt will *always* explicitly use only the onboard Intel graphics and will *not* use discrete graphics. 

If using the Thunderbolt docking station, disconnect and see if that improves your graphics performance.

You can verify this by running the SESysInfo command while running Solid Edge through the Thunderbolt and it will report the Intel graphics adapter.

Unplug from Thunderbolt and run SESysInfo and you will then see the discreet graphics card being used by Solid Edge.

Creator
Creator
KennyG, in my BIOS that setting only has options UMA or Hybrid. UMA is integrated only and Hybrid is both. No possibility to force discrete only.

I've also posted this problem on HP support forum, no luck from there yet.

I've actually researched this quite a lot. Tested recommended drivers, latest drivers etc. No significant change. This force discrete GPU -option is final thing I'd like to test before giving up and go back to my 7 year old workstation which runs SE just fine.

Siemens Phenom

@jylik do you have the latest BIOS firmware installed?

Siemens Phenom

@jylik also you do not mention what version and maintenance pack of Solid Edge you are running.

Creator
Creator
@uk_dave Yes I have.