Display image file (in part) in assembly

I have a QR code that is placed in label part file as an image, When label is in assembly, the QR code is only visable when I have sketches turned on for the label file. All the sketches in the label file are then visable in all orientations of the model.

The QR code needs to be exactly as required in part file as its draft file needs to reflect correct URL linkage, so I can't simulate it with hatching. The QR codes are very fime consuming to create an actual part file for, as I have various ones for different products. I have a bar code on same assembly that does not have to be an exact match as it will be different on each assembly produced, it displays MAC address of each unit. For this one I made a model for the bar code, rather than an image.

Any suggestions as to a better approach to doing this fo QR code.

Pictures attached of top & bottom view of assembly, with & without sketches for label displayed.

Gary Dinges | Mechanical Design Engineer II | Probes & New Product Development Emerson Climate Technologies | Therm-O-Disc, Inc.| 1320 South Main Street | Mansfield | OH | 44907 | USA T +1 419 525 8554 gary.dinges@emerson.com

15 REPLIES

Re: Display image file (in part) in assembly

I think perhaps folks including me don't understand fully what you're asking and so no one has replied. I have a question though: why doesn't the QR graphic show with the "top with sketch" jpeg but it does with the "bottom with sketch"?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I have not done labels for a while, but when I did, I would apply them to a face style as a texture. I know this will allow the labels to show up in the assembly model when textures are turned on in the assembly.

You might have to shade the image to get the label (texture) to show in the draft file though. As I said it has been a while since I did this so I don't recall the particulars.

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

In the picture 'top with with sketch' my issue is that sketches show up no matter how the model is oriented.

Suggested solution works great in assembly and part files. How do I get QR code texture to show in draft file without shading the entire view?

Zip file of draft, assy & parts attached.

Thanks,

Gary

I don't think I have any good option for you on this one. You could paste an image of the QR code into "draw in view". like I did below:

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

This may or may not help but the As Last Saved option in assembly will allow you to display just the one sketch within the part in the assembly. Select the component first.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

@JasonTitcomb

That turns on all the sketches not one of any choosing. Why not go into view properties in the draft and turn on specific ones there?

Bruce Shand

This was a response to "When label is in assembly, the QR code is only visable when I have sketches turned on for the label file. All the sketches in the label file are then visable in all orientations of the model." If I understood correctly.

The reference to working in Assembly environment and seeing too many sketches was interesting.

As Last Saved does just show the one(s) of your choosing.

Edit into the part and show just the sketches you want to see in the assembly.

Then Close and Return. Then select the component and show sketches with As Last Saved on.

You should see just the sketches you want in the assembly environment.

Then if you save a display configuration you can refereence it in Drafting.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

[ Edited ]

@JasonTitcomb

The difference between you and me is that you actually pay attention. I was assuming this was ultimately a draft problem whereas only assemblies were mentioned by Gary.

That's a nice trick though. I've never really considered its use.

Bruce Shand

Your suggestion does improve the issue. Now only border for sketch is shown, rather than all sketches.

This still leaves the sketch visible in other orientations of the part. In this case since it is a label, that is acceptable in the part file. However, the scketch frame is still shown in all orientations of the assembly view, which is undesireable.

Then in the draft file, I can independently show sketches, how would I toggle the image that is in that draft view in selected sketch to be displayed? If this is not possible, it seems this cripples the ability to place images in the part files.

Placing the image file in the draft file using draw in view command is a work around, but leaves the possibility of a future revision would be out of synch with model files if the label position or QR code were to be revised by someone that was unaware of work arounds that were used to display QR code. 

The solution presented in previous post to use apply a face style with a texture of the QR code also has an issue in that I do not know of a way to only display shading in the draft view for the label.

Thank You,

Gary