Disruptive auto-save behavior

Hi everyone, first post here, first year using SE. 

I have had real problems with the autosaving function both in ST7 and now ST8.  I really want to have this turned on for obvious reasons, but it's causing me problems.

First the autosave prompt always comes right when you've issued a command.  This strikes me as impolite UI behavior, normally I think the prompt should pop up specifically NOT when you are asking it to do something.  :-)  More importantly, several things then commonly occur:

1.  After you decide to save the file, or not, the software often completely forgets what you've just asked it to do, and it can dump you out of a multi-step tool after you've selected geometry etc.  This can be disruptive.

2.  After saving (or not), the Undo history is always erased.  This can be catastrophic!  I've had to start models over numerous times because I'm unable to undo something after I was prompted to save.  For example:

a) I edit something in synchronous, and click or Enter to finish the edit,

b) suddenly the save dialog pops up,

c) I click Yes No or Cancel,

d) my edit does something insane to my model (I'm still learning), and 

e) I find myself unable to undo the damage.

I wish I'd taken some screenshots of the carnage today.  I had asked the software to create a coplanar relationship, then a short interlude to autosave the file, then for whatever reason the edit dramatically and irreversibly destroyed my model.  My fault entirely, no problem, let's just Undo it and find the problem!  Except wait, the Undo history is gone, and the model is saved in its new mutated form.  Game over.

It seems like autosaving uniquely named backup files also wipes the Undo history, just without the dialog prompt.  Hopefully there is some setting I'm missing here.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

Ryan

Lab Machinist Solutions, LLC
Waltham, MA, USA
http://www.labmachinist.com
4 REPLIES

Re: Disruptive auto-save behavior

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the SE Community.

What you describe, is echoed across users of numerous different CAD software.....and is the nature of the "Save" function, regardless if it's automatic, or manually applied.

I personally don't use this functionality at all, for the reasons you state, but mostly because I want to control my own errors, without the system creating them on my behalf.

That said,.....what duration do you have it set to?......perhaps this needs to be extended to allow you to at least gather up a modicum of commands/features before it runs.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi,

the situation as You describe sounds like Yoe have used the first option of autosave.

Saving every xxx minutes to the original place.

There is a second option to make a copy into the backup directory instead, and as I remeber, this is done automatically without user interaction.

Wether or not the undo stack is cleared I cann't say but as I remember it is not.

Regards Wolfgang 

The autosave function doesn't work at all for me. It doesn't work with Insight files which I guess makes sense. But it doesn't function working unmanaged either.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I tried using it for the first 6 months, then I gave up. Having used CAD 8+ hour/day since 1990, I'm in the habbit of manually save frequently. They way My files are structured, I have to save as part of updating each part every time I make a series of edits.

I completely agree with Sean's comments.