Distance measurement as variable

I am attempting to build a hybrid ST\Ordered assembly that has parts that adjust via top level variables being fed down the assembly structure (Length Width and Height) . I would like to reduce the amount of variables and sketch elements being driven down the assembly structure.

I have a hole patterns that runs along the Height of the product. I would like to control the hole spacing and hole count based the available space along the pattern in the piece part- not the Height variable.

In NX I would create a measurement in the piece part and save it as an expression/variable. This variable is continually updated during changes. I could then use that measurement to calculate hole pattern spacing and hole pattern quantity.

Is there a similar function or a different suggested workflow for Solid Edge.

5 REPLIES

Hi RyanM,   Could you share a picture about our issue? Th...

Hi RyanM,

Could you share a picture about our issue? There are some way to solve this, but I don't want to get wrong info.

BR,

Imi

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

There would be a couple ways to do this in SE.  First, SE...

There would be a couple ways to do this in SE.  First, SE's pattern commands have 3 options for how the occurence # and spacing is controlled, Fit, Fill and Fixed.  Fit and Fill work in conjunction with the pattern sketch and it's size.

• Fit will fit a set # of occurences with variable spacing within the sketch
  • Fill will fill a variable # of occurences with a set spacing within the sketch
  • Fixed uses a fixed occurence # and spacing.

With Fit and Fill, you can dimensionally constrain the pattern sketch to the edges of your part and it will dynamically adjust as the length or width of your part changes.

For fixed, it will work much how you do it in NX such that an overall dimension will be available in the Variable Table as will be your Pattern's count and spacing variables.  Find these and set up your mathmatical equations to control them via the length/width.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Re: There would be a couple ways to do this in SE.  First, SE...

Ken-
I want to control the pattern so that I have a minimum offset from each end, a fixed distance between each slot/hole and then the quantity is calculated based on a floor(value) to get the whole number. The remainder is then used to equally offset the second and second to last hole/slot. The overall length is not being calculate because I want to be able to stretch the length of the part- this gives me my hybrid design factor. Control the main components with a main variables at the top level and then let the rest of the design float. I then use a "2D stretch function", using face priority, to stretch the remaining parts. Based on the new value of the stretched part I want my hole pattern to adjust.
I see this an example of using 2D design methods in 3D and still using parameters and formulas for your design intent.

So when you create your pattern profile in SE (Ordered), constrain the non-start portions of the profile to the edges of your part using Dims and constrain the start corner to your feature you are patterning (it should be constrained to a corner of your part), set your pattern option to Fit, and give it the correct number of occurrences in both x and y. These can further be controlled via Variable Table if you want the counts to change based on a formula.
Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

I kinda cheated.
I took my original slot, located it and then mirrored it to the other end (This provides my minimum slot locations.) I then created a sketch made of line that ran from the mid point to mid point of the slots. I then added a smart dimension to the line (unlocked). This gave me my dimension variable that is associative to my Synchronous tab feature and my ordered slot features. The smart dimension acts as my measurement feature. This value adjust as my Syn tab length adjusts. Adding a third slot located off of either of the first two slots provides me with the pattern start location and the pattern quantity can be calculated.