Do you use lots of part linking?

Legend
Legend

I ask this question, because today my assembly is fighting to stay stable. I started the assembly yesterday just like all others, with no problems by the time I left for the day. This morning I started cleaning up a few details, and then I find that my assembly is struggling to regenerate when I finish making adjustments to a part.

I have a LOT of parts linked to each other, usually for cutouts to match the profile of mating parts. I've even gotten an error a few times stating that there are conflicting relationships. I've broken the links with the parts listed in the error, but still having issues. I've only had this happen one other time, but it didn't lock up my assembly like I'm experiencing today.

Do you avoid links to other parts when you can? I really didn't use linking until this past year.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
18 REPLIES

Re: Do you use lots of part linking?

Legend
Legend

I've had to shut down my computer half a dozen times thus far today, and for the second time I've seen a process that is running, that I've never seen before.

femapapi.exe    Femap - Finite Element Modeling and PostProcessing Application

I did a google search, and this is a Solid Edge process? I've never seen this is the list of running processes, and like I said, it's only shown up twice that my model has locked up today.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Genius
Genius

I use part linking whenever possible. ST1-ST4 were pretty bad with updating linked sketches and overall linking. It will slow you down a bit....how many parts are we talking about? I've done pretty big assemblies using sketches with parts linking to the sketches, most of the time they were 1000+ part assemblies.

Some tips:

- Use "Peers" instead of including geometry, it takes less time to regenerate

- When using include, use "Wireframe Chain", "Tangent Wireframe", and any other option that will get you a chain instead of including individual lines.

The "Conflicting Relationships"/"Multiple Solutions" is something you're going to have to work at. This is caused by mating sides/holes/etc. and including that feature to make your part.

Legend
Legend

Makes sense about mating surfaces/holes for the conflicting error, with how mine are built. I'd asked tech support how to break down what the message means, and didn't get a very good answer the last time I'd seen this.

My projects only have about 30-50 components, but many are built from a linked sketch from the base component of the assembly. I'm half tempted to just build the assembly from scratch, I've lost more time than that already today.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

wonder i fyou accidently started a FEA study?

tools - environments - femap???

Legend
Legend

I've started building my assembly from scratch, and that FEA is greyed out. Is this an add-on/purchase thing?

I can't get my original assembly to even open at this point, but once I get caught back up, I'll try and see if that FEA is turned on in the original.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Genius
Genius

On basic SE you have FEA for a single part only, not assemblies. To be able to use it in an assembly you would need to purchase the entire package.

I made a document a while ago on Multiple Solutions at my last employer, trying to get it so I can pass it on. When I get it I'll post it here ASAP.

Genius
Genius

Here's the documents on how to deal with Multiple Solutions/Circular Dependencies, and how to create and fix them. Wrote it up at the last place I was at, they had a huge problem with it there....

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

My philosophy has been to use links when you need to and then break/delete them in short order. Sure they can be useful in a design that is changing but they'll also be more likely to blow up in that situation and present a rat's nest of conflicts and confusion. It also depends on how many users will interact with your parts and assemblies. It's hard to figure out the links that someone else set up. The last place I worked didn't allow links in released files. You at least had to freeze them.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

The linking has really proven helpful to make my parts adjust as I change the size of my boats, but as stated, sometimes it becomes an unstable situation when something goes wrong. I'm starting to break links when I get to the end of my assemblies. Like I said, this linking is sort of new to me, and very helpful when not dealing with just rectangular and square situations.

I rebuilt the entire assembly, and it works just fine. I still can't open the original, it just locks up. I have only seen this FEA process running when that original assembly is locked up. Not sure what that is all about, but things are working again (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Michael

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.