Does Intel I7's hyper-threading technology benefit Solid Edge's performance?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm deciding between buying Intel CPU I5-4590 and i7-4790, which has the hyper-threading ability: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-t...

Please tell me if this hyper-threading technology can increase the performance of CAD softwares like Solid Edge when I don't multi-task (only using Solid Edge).

Thank you for your replies

5 REPLIES

Re: Does Intel I7's hyper-threading technology benefit Solid Edge's performance?

No, hyperthreading will not help much -- for any CAD program if just using the CAD program. The short story is Intel hyperthreads because they can't make individual CPUs go faster (physics) but the tech isn't there to make CAD software execute in 2 or more CPUs effectively.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: Does Intel I7's hyper-threading technology benefit Solid Edge's performance?

[ Edited ]

But, no one is not multi-tasking when it come to a PC.  You have many applications running at the same time all making demands on the processor.  Some may not need as much CPU as Solid Edge at times, but they are there and all need something. 

As an example, open Windows Task Manager and look at the process tab (be sure to select "Show processes from all users" if you have admin rights).  This shows all the applications that are currently running.

So even if you think you are running just Solid Edge, you actually are running many other applications/services as well.  That's why you won;t find any single core machines anymore... They were dogs.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

Thank you dcstaples for your reply!

Thank you for your detailed reply! I know that hyper threading will always be useful. Do you think that paying 110$ extra is worth the performance gain through hyper threading?

Here's a link to some comparison info.....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/the-intel-haswell-refresh-review-core-i7-4790-i5-4690-and-i3-4360...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP3] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10