Solved! Go to solution

Does someone know of a way to get SE to adjust the drawing view scale when the part size changes?

Hello

I have a problem when reusing a existing part and drawing.

I change the size of the part, make it twice the size and update the drawing,

Now the drawing views of the part overlap each other and i have to manually adjust the drawing view scale to make them fit on the sheet and not overlap each other.

Does somenone know of a way to get SE to adjust the drawing view scale so the drawing view boundary doesn't get bigger, or smaller if that is the case.?

This would be helpful when using a partfile  as a "template" and creating a lot of new data  just by changing its dimensions from excel, It would be great if the drawing would update in a way that you don't need to manually edit it..

5 REPLIES

Re: Does someone know of a way to get SE to adjust the drawing view scale when the part size changes

No option or feature in Solid Edge.  You can put in a request for added functionality by talking to your VAR/GTAC.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conex
‎10-31-2016 03:47 AM

Re: Does someone know of a way to get SE to adjust the drawing view scale when the part size changes

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem all the time. I'm not aware of of any method to achieve a control using the sheet size with the view extents.

The one thing that helps a bit is making sure the views are as large as the part can possibly be. This creates way overextended views in some cases, but at least the dimensions in that view will not detach when the part grows. 

Flat pattern views tend to have less problem than regular views with detaching dimensions.

Another thing that helps is when you update the draft, check through what has detached before you release the updates to remove the revision triangles. Sometimes you can fix the views and the dimensions  will re-attached before you release the update. release = lose the revision triangles or commit to the drafting changes.

Thank you for your replies guysSmiley Happy, I think I will file an ER on this.

IR 7861713
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Conex
‎10-31-2016 03:47 AM

I'm not even sure NX has this capabilities.

In the past and my current job we have a rule engine sitting on top of the CAD application. That tool would be the one that controlled the logic and then passed the information down to the drawing. In the drawing dimensions were "anchored" to the view so your dimensions were not flying all over the place during the resize of parts and then view scales.

This is by no means a simple thing to achieve in any system. Especially if you are trying to do design automation.