Does unmanaged work for two users?

Phenom
Phenom

I work in an unmanaged environment.

If I open up a second copy of solid edge, I'm not able to open the same files twice. I would expect the second copy of an opened file to become read only rather than not at all.

How do I get past that?

I asked because my company is considering a second user and I have to work out the bugs. How can two people use the same file in an unmanged environ ment? Going to managed is not practical because of other issues.

Does SE respond different to two users vs. One user opening two copies of SE?

The main issues is what I would call "standard parts". We have many common parts that are used in just about every file. I need two people to be able to use the files. I would rather not have multiple copies of the same files running around to avoid that problem.

17 REPLIES

Re: Does unmanaged work for two users?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can't obtain write access to the same file in a managed environment either.

Standard parts and/or library parts should reside in a set location somewhere. On a server for example. Not copied over and over again for different jobs.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

How do I tell the program a typical assembly file is a "standard part" so that it can be loaded by two users?

I have 1000 of them.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You don't "tell" the program, you simply set up a file structure so you and your team know that these are standard parts/assys/whatever.

Any part can be loaded by two users.

Also, not sure why you'd want to open a file again in a second instance of SE, but another workstation that opens an already open file will get it read only.

Bruce Shand

Betreff: Does unmanaged work for two users?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @12GAGE

You have to distinguish between use and change

You can use our parts or assemblies in several other assemblies at the same time.

But if You want to modify it You only can do it once at a time.

Having standard parts or standard components I would recomment to use live cycle status.

Release parts so You provide unwanted changes.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not able to load the same assembly in two copies of SE at the same time. Does it work different when it's two different users vs. one? I asuming two session of SE would work just like two users.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

The controls of being able to open are based on Windows security rules.

When you open a file, Windows locks the file as read-only for any other USERS.  Since you are the user with the file already open, but trying to open it in a second session of Solid Edge, the status gets confusing.

If you, USER1, has the file open in Solid Edge with write access, your coworker, USER2, can also open up the file but it will be flagged as read-only.  But, USER2 must be on a different computer with a different Windows login.

2 sessions of Solid Edge does NOT work like 2 users.

Phenom
Phenom

OK thank you. That clears things up.

And of course, I will not be able to be two users on one computer at the same time. So I'm out of luck to test problems w/ two users. Even if I could, only one would be licensed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE We do this all the time for one group (unmanaged SE work).  It's not an issue for two users to open the same file, but as others have said only one user can open it with "write" access.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE, Use another user account on the same machine. You can open the same files and "switch user" to go between the two SE sessions.

Bruce Shand