Draft File to PDF Quality

Does anyone know why this is happening to my Titles. I have Titles created in my background. The text is set on "wrap text" to fit in the Title square. When I save or print as a PDF, the Title no longer "wraps".

Shows like this in Solid EdgeShows like this in Solid EdgeShows like this in PDFShows like this in PDF

11 REPLIES

Re: Draft File to PDF Quality

Not sure.  If using the "Save As" in SE to create the PDF, you may try changing the properties on the "Solid Edge Velocity PS Printer 2.0" printer to "Download as Softfont" to see if that resolves it.  Essentially the Draft is printed to this printer when you Save As to PDF.  You may also try printing to a PDF writer if you have one to see if that works.

2016-09-16_8-58-40.png

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Grundey wrote:

Not sure.  If using the "Save As" in SE to create the PDF, you may try changing the properties on the "Solid Edge Velocity PS Printer 2.0" printer to "Download as Softfont" to see if that resolves it.  Essentially the Draft is printed to this printer when you Save As to PDF.  You may also try printing to a PDF writer if you have one to see if that works.

2016-09-16_8-58-40.png

I agree with Ken,

i have experienced very bad things with the default "substitute" option.

In the worst scenario, randomly during printing, all text that contains number and are rotate by 90° where shifted by 1 unit each character.

This results on a drawing with dimensions is a change for example from 120 to 231 with subsequent big disasters during productions.

In my opinion the "Embed font" option shoul be the default and the only to use

It appears the size of the text box relative to the font size has changed. Assuming the box was not edited, this implies the font definition has changed and the previous comments apply. That or the formatting of an explicit or implied "return" in the text has changed.

Thanks Ken!!!  I never knew about the Solid Edge printer properties.  Solid Edge has been bugging me for months and months as it won't let me create pdf's using the Century Gothic TTF.  All I had to do was turn off the substitution font.

Thanks again,

Matt

Ken brought up a good point.  Make sure your Solid Edge printer driver is not substituting your font.  Under the printer's properties, check the font substitution table...

6.JPG

@MattS, Should all fonts be set at don't substitute? I checked our driver and though most are don't substitute several have specific fonts. Or is this just something to watch for problems with?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

That's a good question Bruce.  I don't know.  Didn't know this existed until this morning. I'd say don't worry about it until problems arise.  I'm not very knowledgeable on pdf's.  Maybe earlier versions of the pdf format didn't have the ability to save the font characters in the pdf so the pdf printers substituted less common fonts with standard Windows fonts.

Matt

[ Edited ]

I have been dabling with Adobe products since 1993 and using PDF's since version 5 (about 2001).

The PDF format took Adobe many man years to work out. They reverse engineered all of the formatting of every other program and embeaded that into the PDF format. Then that formatting was slowly moved from the file format to the program as much as possible over time to reduce the PDF file sizes and sizes of files sent to printers.

The reason this is pertanent, is that along the way, screen fonts (OS fonts) vs program fonts (Like Word, AutoCAD, etc) evolved differently on Mac's vs. PC's. To overcome all the issues, they had to build in substitute printer font options as part of the file to PDF process. In general things are much more unified today, but 20 years ago, the font situation was a mess. Adobe in general, is the manager of all computer font standards.

PDF's and PS printing understand how to keep douments & fonts to the correct scale. Very nice feature when printing drawing w/ a scale.

@12GAGEIf only adobe could make navigating in PDF's less hair pulling, I'd probably not hate the pdf format as much as I do. When I get pdf's sent to me instead of dwg's I want to shoot myself as it is since they are nearly worthless to get info out of if it isn't already dimensioned on the print, then when I try to zoom in and move around I want to cry. I really really hate pdf.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"