Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Draft - Quantity

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can set an override for quantity in occurence properties. That is reflected in parts list quantity.

See this thread: http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Draft-Quantity-x-Mass/m-p/313267#U31...

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

as @bshand says -- in teh Assembly file, override the quantity using "Occurence Properties". This will carry through to Draft, plus all your Asm reports.It will even get Mass right -- although obviously CG can't be known, since we don't know where the parts are positioned. Doesn't sound like an issue for your use case.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks both, I'll test it monday, the weekend starts now. Man Tongue

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2020 user

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks, but...

That's not a good solution for me.

I make automates parts lists. There I need the quantity of the parts, used per assembly.

So the part may be used 3 times in the assembly but needed 1200 times to be made.

Than I want "3" in the parts list and "1200" in de part draft file.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2020 user

Hi,

I think this becomes a more or less often discussed issue.

The term "quantity" used in a menufactoring drawing IMHO doesn't make any sense.

A manufactoring drawing - by definition - must show everything which is necessary to produce one single item of the shown part.

So an item quantity - which I found very often - is wanted to be put on that type of drawing, which therfore is not planned.

This is a matter of ressource planning and assembling but not for the information regarding one single part.

So the only hint or way to get this, could be the usage of an user defined property showing this number and can be used in the draft therefore or a transfer of that task to the PDM or ERP system.

I hope I have understood Your request and intentions correctly,
if not forget my answer

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Joris - in an earlier post you said

"I'll ask my question different:

If you need 100 machines, I presume you draw 1 machine and ask 100 pieces of each part so you can assembly 100 machines. How do you enter your quantity of "100" in your draft of each part?"

The simple answer to this is that you don't enter the quantity on the part drawing.

The quantity required is defined on the machine assembly drawing.

This is for several good reasons -

Many companies use common parts across many jobs (therefore many assemblies), so there would have to be a list of assemblies and quantitiesfor each on the part drawing.

Maintaining that list would be an enormous task.

Lists such as this are also prone to reading incorrectly by the manufacturer.

The only way I can think of automating it would be to have (on the part drawing) a view and parts list of all assemblies where the part is used. You could then extract the quantity for the part - a sort of 'used-on' quantity.

If you need a total quantities list you should look at generating that from your highest level assembly drawing. An 'atomic' parts list might not help here as there may be assemblies where you don't want to include the individual parts. I think you could prevent these being expanded by making them Weldment' assemblies, although I'm not 100% sure as its not something we do here.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius

The quantity is available in the partslist of the assembly. Correct ?

And you can override the quantity in the occurrence properties table. Correct ?

So we have all the information needed to make it possible right ?

So the only thing that's needed is a new property text so that we can use it in a detailed/production drawing.

I do it exactly like Joris is doing it. So I think it is not so weird as some of you think it is.

And people from the shopfloor do not get a whole package of drawings just to make one of the parts.

They just get one drawing, the one they need to make/build. That's it !

So I really think there are users doing it the same way like we do, so if you like it or not, it should be part or a new feature in a new release of SE ! period.

(I think that Humans can be strange, but they should have the freedom to do it like they want it to do.

as long as they do the work within schedule.

I always think what can be solved with a software adjustment is less expensive than trying to change the habits of some people.Man Wink )

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

Phenom
Phenom

Dirk, what you are looking for, I think, is a 'where used quantity' property.

Probably not as easy as you would imagine.

What if you have 10 in one assembly, 5 in another, and each of those assemblies is used 6 times on a job ?

Which quantity would you want - 5, 10, 15 or 90 ?

We all know it is probably fairly common practise to put the quantity required on the part drawing,

If one part gets lost/broken during assembly does the guy make a full batch again because the part drawing says to make 20 ?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius

@beachcomber wrote:

Dirk, what you are looking for, I think, is a 'where used quantity' property. 

Yeah that would be even better

@beachcomber wrote:

What if you have 10 in one assembly, 5 in another, and each of those assemblies is used 6 times on a job ?

Which quantity would you want - 5, 10, 15 or 90 ?

You can already do this now. So I don't see the problem here. We only need a way to make the total quantity available in the part drawing. I don't want to enter them manually or write the qty manually on the drawing.

@beachcomber wrote:

If one part gets lost/broken during assembly does the guy make a full batch again because the part drawing says to make 20 ?

I admit it's not completely bulletproof. But I think you are smart enough to solve this.

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

@Xedu

"You can already do this now."

Can already do what now?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200